• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie space or no tie space?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the London Lounge Alden wrote:

The same is true for the perfect shirt collar. As a matter of fact, if you follow the rule that says a shirt collar should not include tie space, you may risk the perilous depths where only Troggies venture.
On Style Forum The_Foxx wrote:

I'll be interested to hear your comments on the shirt's collar when you wear it. to me, it's the best shape and has very little to no 'tie space' at the top, which is important to me.
What is your opinion on tie space on shirts?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whether there is any actual tie space, I don't want it to appear that there is when a tie is worn. I don't like the horizontal line above the tie knot when the tie space is too pronounced.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a skinny neck and can use all the horizontal lines I can get.

I like a little tie space, and strongly dislike when a collar appears to overlap above the tie. The collar should emerge gracefully, not look like it's having a pre-play huddle. A little tie space allows for a bit of adjustment, especially when a shirt is new and hasn't shrunk.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
On the London Lounge Alden wrote:

On Style Forum The_Foxx wrote:

What is your opinion on tie space on shirts?

Iammatt, Ca te derange? Do consider the source...

I don't have a problem with them either way. Some of my well dressed friends like a space, some like a little overlap; personally, I like the one's Paris custom shirts make http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...shirts-reprise where the collar just meets with no overlap (At least that's how theyre made for me). In any case, it is a lot more imporatant that the collar be hand attached with care for neck comfort and that the collar is properly proportioned for your neck so that you can slip a tie up there which sits securely.

Most important is that the shirt collar fits you and is neither too tight nor too loose so that when the tie knot is pulled up to the throat there is nether discomfort nor tie space showing.

nioh

Reaction score
I trust my shirt maker to use whatever will enhance the overall look, which happens to be a small space.

Sometimes I wish people would just set rules and personal preferences aside and look at what would actually favour their appearance. Unfortunately most people seem to lack the will to do so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Tie space is, IMO, a necessity with a BD collar, a tab collar, or a closed point collar, and with certain pinned collars.. Not so necessary with a medium spread or wider. With my spread collars, I don't like tie space but prefer a perfect inverted "V".

Tie space is also useful for men who wear big giant knots no matter what their collar shape. Not into the windsor or half windsor myself.

Tie space or no, I hate seeing collarband above the knot. Collars with tie space should have the tops of the bands angled downward where the collar buttons to help avoid this.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shirt collar has a big roll or a wide spread, I guess there is no reason to have tie space. Otherwise, I think tie space helps to give the tie the needed space to move out.

The worst is a shirt that pushes down on the tie.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notiespaceformethankyouverymuch.

twotone

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like some tie space, and actually dislike a perfect inverted V collar. I guess I'm more comfortable with the vertical symmetry of the tie knot with some tie space

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still dabbling. Tie-knot wise, I've pretty well settled on my preferred size and shape (smallish four-in-hand with no dimple), and now see that some tie space would be beneficial. I am on the verge of ordering new shirts and am going to ask for some tie space and see how it goes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zero tie space for me but what do I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads