1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tie question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MaxTO, Feb 25, 2005.

1. MaxTO

MaxTO Active Member

Hey,

I'm getting a solid black tie with no pattern as a present. The only way I can think of wearing it would be with a white shirt and a black suit.
    What other combos would work? Would it work with a navy suit?

Thanks.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I like the solid or black/white striped tie with medium-grey suit and white shirt. black shoes of course. I'm a very monochromatic guy, though.

3. paul44

paul44 Member

I personally like the idea of a black tie, depending on what sort it is; grenadine, foulard, repp, twill.

Black neckties go with anything, although the look is a bit dull and uniform-ish.

I think I read George Frazier eventually settled on a black grenadine for his daily tie.

I know of a few Savile Row cutters who wear the same tie quite often, a grenadine in a color like navy, gray or black.

Cary Grant recommended in 1962, "If I had only one to choose, then I think a black foulard, not too wide nor too narrow, is best as it's acceptable with most clothes."

And we all know of the James Bond films and other well-dressed men from the early 60s and late 50s who would wear solid ties in navy and black quite often with suits of any sort.

Yes, it's a dull option.  I kind of prefer solid dark navy.  But black is also versatile, as long as it's of high quality.  I think the Army has soldiers and officers wear black ties, don't they?  U.S. Navy perhaps, also.

Which brings me to my question on this subject:  Does anyone know where I can get a good-quality black foulard, as described?  Thanks.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I need to get a quality black tie, probably a grenadine, primarily as a funeral tie. Ben Silver had a nice looking black ottoman on clearance but it seems to have sold out.

Solid ties can help ground a bolder shirt and/or suit. They can be a good option.

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

If anyone has a tie question, one should ask the tie king, jerrysfriend.....do you know how many he has?

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I find that a solid black tie is quite versatile. The plainer the other parts of your ensemble, the more "funereal" you will look. Hence a white shirt and dark suit with a plain black tie looks pretty darn somber.

I like to wear mine with fancy striped and checked shirts -- especially if the shirt has black or gray in the pattern. And I will wear the tie with any color suit. It is also, by the way, a great "equalizer" to wear with a patterned suit and patterned shirt. It both brings the shirt and suit together and tones down the whole. Highly recommended.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Ahhhh ... after 55 pages, man descends from pedestal long enough to permit black to remain in the universe.

8. MaxTO

MaxTO Active Member

Beginning to get some ideas now...

Thanks.

9. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I think a plain black tie could easily be worn with a beige/taupe suit with an interesting shirt, stripes perhaps. Â I have a black with small white diamonds tie that is definitely not a "beautiful" tie but it is very classic and extremely versatile (I also wear it with blue suits in addition to beige ones). Not THIS is a great black tie. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....5770722