Tie preference

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Apr 29, 2005.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm just curious, cause I haven't seen anyone on this board dislike heavy ties. The opinion here seems to be that 7 or 4 fold is the be all, end all of ties, when in fact other ties have just as much intricate construction and quality as any 7-fold. With me, if I have to wear a tie, I don't want to know I'm wearing a tie. I have a few Talbots and a nice Kiton 7-fold that are just very bulky. It seems the trend in ties these days is whoever is thickest wins. Recently, I've become a fan of Armani and Hermes (not the ones with the tiny animals). They make their ties very lightweight on purpose; to make it feel as if you aren't wearing a tie when you do. Just this past month I've picked up about a half-dozen Polo ties (3") because they feel lighter as well. P.S. Is a 7-fold Trad?? j/k [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I go for in between. I like my Zegna ties.

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Some Zegna I've seen are light.

Other "heavy" guys are: Charvet, Garrick Anderson, Barbera, and Carlo Franco.

4. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

How many times can I vote?

5. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

As a rule of thumb I prefer the ones that are on sale.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Amazing--we like the same ties. [​IMG]

7. arvi

arvi Senior member

i used to buy mostly armani ties because they knotted so well with soft collar (no collar stays) shirts and also because he has such subtly beautiful fabrics and patterns..now i wear wider spread collars that also have collar stays...armani ties unfortunately don't make a big enough knot for these.

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Generally I prefer thicker ties, and I have a general preference for woven ties over printed. However, in the summer my tie preferences change to the lighter along with the rest of my wardrobe. The thickness of a tie should therefore have some (albiet minor) relation to its seasonality. For example, I recently purchased a beautiful pink and blue striped tie from Chuck. The silk is amazing, the construction awesome -- but my preference would be for a slightly thinner lining, and a more aggressive taper from bottom to top, or maybe even a narrower width overall (it seems Chuck's ties are evolving less and less of a taper over time -- maybe eventually the top of his ties will be wider than the bottom? [​IMG] ). The same lining thickness, width, and taper that is "too much" in a spring or summer silk would be perfect for one of Chuck's matchless silk/cashmere blends. I don't mean to criticise Chuck -- his ties are the best ties I own and I wil continue to buy them almost exclusively. But I would love to see Chuck offer a little more stylistic variation. And maybe some prints as well as the wovens, too.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

That *thud* was Chuck fainting. [​IMG]

10. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

*thud* #2

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I didn't vote because I think that both have their place, and it's sort of like asking someone whether they prefer steak to icecream. Chuck's sevenfolds wovens are really beautiful and the fabrics are luxurious, perfect to be paired with a Brioni silhouette and a semi to spread collar shirt. On the other hand, they wouldn't go particularly well with a soft point collar shirt and an unconstructed jacket the way a soft, thin Armani tie, which may be much more poorly constructed would.

Context is key.

13. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Montecristo,

I tend to agree with you. I have some ties that we make with a very lightweight shot silk that are great for warmer seasons.

The knot tends to be slightly smaller but a heavy wool interlining helps to keep the knot firm.

The wool interlining could be made heavier but in a way that defeats the purpose of using a light weight silk.

14. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find that true sevenfolds are lighter than lined ties. That includes the Kitons, which are really four folds these days.

When Chuck uses heavy silk in a Carlo Franco seven fold, it's an ideal weight.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Looks like Kermie's got a fairly light tie on there.