1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie pattern size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamhope, May 5, 2016.

1. dreamhope

dreamhope Senior member

Hi,

I've tried to search but this question may not have been brought up before:

How large are the patterns in a tie considered 'too large'?

I'm specifically thinking about 'foulard' patterns. How many times should the small patterns be repeated, say, at the widest point for it to be considered appropriate? If a tie has the pattern repeated only 4-5 times at the widest point (so 0.8" per pattern), is the pattern too large?

thanks

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It depends. Show me a picture, and I'll tell you if it looks okay to me.

Not everything can be judged against a well defined, easily articulated, quantitative rule.

3. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

Foulard is a tightly woven twill or plain weave that is used for different purposes including neckties. Although there is no specified size there are "classic" neat and paisley patterns. If you go to my site you will see 5 classic English Foulard patterns. ( 4 of the five are currently "out of stock").
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes into play. Were you to slightly increase or decrease the size or spacing of the print you would still have a tie that would be acceptable to most members of the forum.
    PAUL WINSTON
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

4. dreamhope

dreamhope Senior member

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It's likely that second tie's pattern is too bold ("ugly") to some. It's the contrast of the dots with the background color and their absolute size and strange complexity. It actually looks better from a distance.

The other looks dated, probably the combination of the geometric pattern and the colors.