1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie Makers in Naples

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nmoraitis, Dec 19, 2007.

1. romafan

romafan Senior member

A few of their ties were shown to have been made by Drake's. I don't know that there has been a shift to using Drake's, or if this was just something that happened occasionally in the past. It has become an internet forum rumor, which is not necessarily a good or reliable thing.

I figured as much, as I have always thought their ties to be of excellent quality made in house. Many forumites do not have first hand knowledge of many of the items discussed here but feel the need to regurgitate someone else's opinion and than before you know it, it is presented as fact.

I would never profess to be an expert at anything, much less ties. I will say that I have perused the Marinella rack at Bergies on occasion. I am not inclined to spend $160 (or whatever it is) on ties, but I like to look [​IMG] . I've seen the same silks in the Holliday & Brown offerings down at C21....

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

A few of their ties were shown to have been made by Drake's. I don't know that there has been a shift to using Drake's, or if this was just something that happened occasionally in the past. It has become an internet forum rumor, which is not necessarily a good or reliable thing.
    Hmm, this I should be able find out for sure.

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Coffee Cake?
    WTF? Go back to your slapfest with ed.
    I've seen the same silks in the Holliday & Brown offerings down at C21....
    Given that at least at one point Marinella's site proudly stated it still obtained its silks from "Holliday & Brown and Sambrook Witting", this should not surprise. Of course, I don't think H&B actually ever wove its own silk, but many of their conservative prints are very Marinella in style, and it would not surprise me to see the same print on ties from both labels. H&B also has many more interesting designs, whereas the Marinella RTW one sees are stillborn in their conservatism.
    Hmm, this I should be able find out for sure.
    O RLY? Do tell...

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

The nicest ties from Naples that I've handled are by Matuozzo.

5. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

O RLY? Do tell...

Can't give away all my secrets [​IMG] But I'll make an inquiry tomorrow.

I like Marinella's '70s-inspired lineup, but the silks might be bespoke-only.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

WTF? Go back to your slapfest with ed.

Easy there, it's just a joke...you should be more relaxed this time of year. Perhaps half a bowl of eggnog will do you some good.

[​IMG]

Jon.

7. RJman

Easy there, it's just a joke...you should be more relaxed this time of year. Perhaps half a bowl of eggnog will do you some good.

[​IMG]

Jon.

I had a lot of trouble trying to explain what "ze eggnog" was to a Frog a few nights ago and then realized that I wasn't sure what's in it either.

Vin chaud instead!

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

[​IMG]
    .Given that at least at one point Marinella's site proudly stated it still obtained its silks from "Holliday & Brown and Sambrook Witting", this should not surprise. Of course, I don't think H&B actually ever wove its own silk, but many of their conservative prints are very Marinella in style, and it would not surprise me to see the same print on ties from both labels. H&B also has many more interesting designs, whereas the Marinella RTW one sees are stillborn in their conservatism.

Well it surprised me [​IMG] . I guess I need to visit that site!

The nicest ties from Naples that I've handled are by Matuozzo.

Is that the one you so avariciously sold?

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I had a lot of trouble trying to explain what "ze eggnog" was to a Frog a few nights ago and then realized that I wasn't sure what's in it either.

Vin chaud instead!

Whatever helps you through the night. [​IMG]

Jon.

10. RJman

Whatever helps you through the night. [​IMG]

Jon.

It's all right laddie, it won't be you...[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. QuarantaLocatel

QuarantaLocatel Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  12. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

double posted, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. SartodiNapoli

I( we who supply most of Neapolitan shops who just we add their tag) doing all by hand. Obviously I can´t mention the names of our clients.

But please, some of those you mention use the Liba machine instead of doing by hand, so are not the most respected, are the most famous but the LESS respected contrary.

I already said on other post and won´t like to repeat who used the machine instead of made only by hand to avoid making polemic and enemies or show as bashing my oponents, even people who does not by hand can´t be oponent, just another different product.

Compare this machine producted tie, to a only by hand where only the interlining or lining is attached by machine as on real made by hand as Kiton, old Borrellis, I was trained by some of them and practised among tons of places and can tell you what is said on the Neapolitan high tailoring industry about the ones who use the Liba machine.

This is the Liba machine for low cost ties, that is used for mass production. There is one( or several) of this machines outside of Naples, but I have never seen one in person even I wanted just because technical curiosity, as any arthisanal maker uses or should use them, so got any choice to see any.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  14. SartodiNapoli

I have said who uses it in other thread. If you can´t id a tie made out of Liba, as you said a 7 fold tie makes a better knot that a 3 fold, I am sorry to say you are not a real tailor and just a salesman who tries to sell over the internet, there is nothing bad about it, but when fake things are said, then I have to be here to defend the Neapolitan High Tailoring industry I am sorry to say you are not respecting as well as not respecting the readers saying them unreal things.

Everybody (the big Neapolitan names make the silk brands travelling to their doors on the contrary) on this industry travels to Suffolk and Como to chose their silks, I have done it in the pastas well, so that is not special, is just doing the proper job as it has to be done, so this point is not valid.

I only help foreign customers who already got too much sellers with any clue about High Tailoring trying to hook specially American and Asian clients saying fake things, selling fake things and giving fake prices, as all the forum knows I exposed and will continue exposing all the time I found a false argument.

The rest I won´t answer too, the people who surrounds me are the most respected and master of all Naples since several generations as well as considered the best alive as all the forum knows and also worked on most of those places, so I know from the first hand when they quit hand made to go outside of Naples on the mid 1990´s to save $ on each tie making them with the LIBA machine, ask your boss about, I am pretty sure he will teach you about.

Thanks for the invitation, I did not talk about your ties as I do not know them (and hope you get the best of luck), but the rest you recommended about best of Naples are actually just the contrary

, (then now you say you don´t know how do they work but recommended them before? ) How is that? That is my point

As me as humble person but the rest of the industry does not respect, as some of those brands disrespects the clients selling at the same high price a made by machine on seconds (that is luxury as you said, pricing an item as high as the buyer can pay, example all the fashion brands) than a real made by hand on hours(High Tailoring).

Best

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  15. QuarantaLocatel

see next post

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. QuarantaLocatel

It's ok, good luck to you, as a taylor. I am sorry that it's not possible to know who you are and where you work, but it's ok.

I didn't recommend brands, I showed the recommendations of magazines, and of course we are happy to be appreciated. Thank you to clarify that you are not talking about us.

About many ideas, skipping the more important about quality, honestly I agree more with who wrote that so many rules about details are not so important like the result. I don't agree with too strict rules in aesthetics

Best wishes and good luck.

17. SartodiNapoli

Hi,

I did a guide here of the Neapolitan tie construction that you will agree, as more or less as you know, in Naples ( the ones by hand) we do more or less similar, feel free to add whatever, as I sure I forgot some things.

Merry Christmas

http://www.styleforum.net/t/508123/neckties-a-discussion-thread/600#post_8243813

18. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
  19. QuarantaLocatel

Thank you.
    Good Job, i will read.
    Forza Napoli.
    Merry Christmas

20. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.