Tie Makers in Naples

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nmoraitis, Dec 19, 2007.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Names and photos?

Jose are you going to actually go to Naples and find these people out? Or do you just like the photo pron?

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

While I do not deny that there are some nice patterns (such as the one you posted), they are available in NYC and I am more interested in brands that are not available in the US. Thanks for posting the photo, it really is a lovely tie.

It is not the 'pattern' per se of this fabric that makes it special. It is from the limited edition line of theirs, where they use vintage sportscoat fabrics from Sabino's archives to make ties.

3. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

It is not the 'pattern' per se of this fabric that makes it special. It is from the limited edition line of theirs, where they use vintage sportscoat fabrics from Sabino's archives to make ties.

That is both interesting and intriguing, I never realized that they used vintage fabrics to create some of their ties. I think I will have to pay them a visit when I am in Naples.

A few of their ties were shown to have been made by Drake's. I don't know that there has been a shift to using Drake's, or if this was just something that happened occasionally in the past. It has become an internet forum rumor, which is not necessarily a good or reliable thing.

I figured as much, as I have always thought their ties to be of excellent quality made in house. Many forumites do not have first hand knowledge of many of the items discussed here but feel the need to regurgitate someone else's opinion and than before you know it, it is presented as fact.

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

That is both interesting and intriguing, I never realized that they used vintage fabrics to create some of their ties. I think I will have to pay them a visit when I am in Naples..
    They are not the only ones in Napoli who make ties out of vintage/standard sportscoat fabrics.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

A few of their ties were shown to have been made by Drake's. I don't know that there has been a shift to using Drake's, or if this was just something that happened occasionally in the past. It has become an internet forum rumor, which is not necessarily a good or reliable thing.

Coffee Cake?

Jon.

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

I figured as much, as I have always thought their ties to be of excellent quality made in house. Many forumites do not have first hand knowledge of many of the items discussed here but feel the need to regurgitate someone else's opinion and than before you know it, it is presented as fact.

I would never profess to be an expert at anything, much less ties. I will say that I have perused the Marinella rack at Bergies on occasion. I am not inclined to spend $160 (or whatever it is) on ties, but I like to look [​IMG] . I've seen the same silks in the Holliday & Brown offerings down at C21....

7. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Hmm, this I should be able find out for sure.

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Coffee Cake?
    WTF? Go back to your slapfest with ed.
    I've seen the same silks in the Holliday & Brown offerings down at C21....
    Given that at least at one point Marinella's site proudly stated it still obtained its silks from "Holliday & Brown and Sambrook Witting", this should not surprise. Of course, I don't think H&B actually ever wove its own silk, but many of their conservative prints are very Marinella in style, and it would not surprise me to see the same print on ties from both labels. H&B also has many more interesting designs, whereas the Marinella RTW one sees are stillborn in their conservatism.
    Hmm, this I should be able find out for sure.
    O RLY? Do tell...

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

The nicest ties from Naples that I've handled are by Matuozzo.

10. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

O RLY? Do tell...

Can't give away all my secrets [​IMG] But I'll make an inquiry tomorrow.

I like Marinella's '70s-inspired lineup, but the silks might be bespoke-only.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

WTF? Go back to your slapfest with ed.

Easy there, it's just a joke...you should be more relaxed this time of year. Perhaps half a bowl of eggnog will do you some good.

[​IMG]

Jon.

12. RJman

Easy there, it's just a joke...you should be more relaxed this time of year. Perhaps half a bowl of eggnog will do you some good.

[​IMG]

Jon.

I had a lot of trouble trying to explain what "ze eggnog" was to a Frog a few nights ago and then realized that I wasn't sure what's in it either.

Vin chaud instead!

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

[​IMG]
    .Given that at least at one point Marinella's site proudly stated it still obtained its silks from "Holliday & Brown and Sambrook Witting", this should not surprise. Of course, I don't think H&B actually ever wove its own silk, but many of their conservative prints are very Marinella in style, and it would not surprise me to see the same print on ties from both labels. H&B also has many more interesting designs, whereas the Marinella RTW one sees are stillborn in their conservatism.

Well it surprised me [​IMG] . I guess I need to visit that site!

The nicest ties from Naples that I've handled are by Matuozzo.

Is that the one you so avariciously sold?

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I had a lot of trouble trying to explain what "ze eggnog" was to a Frog a few nights ago and then realized that I wasn't sure what's in it either.

Vin chaud instead!

Whatever helps you through the night. [​IMG]

Jon.

15. RJman

Whatever helps you through the night. [​IMG]

Jon.

It's all right laddie, it won't be you...[​IMG] [​IMG]