• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Loafers and Jay Butler Shoes

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I have been looking for these exact shoes for weeks now:

http://jaybutler.com/collections/mens-casual-leather-loafers-shoes/products/mens-leather-tie-loafer

The look is exactly what I want, but I have never heard of this company and am worried about the quality.

Does anyone have any experience with this company? And if they are not good, does anyone know any better companies that make this exact style?

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Get some canoe shoes from Quoddy. Same style, except likely to be better quality.

Last edited:

pnewelljr

Reaction score
These have a more refined look than that. Basically the style of a driving shoe but with a full leather sole.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have no experience with Jay Butler, but it's run by the guy who does TFYG

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/

The tie loafers Jerry linked to are made by C&J. I own a pair and think they're nice, but they're also $300+ more expensive ($500+ more at full price). You should probably expect some quality difference in that range. They're also a little chunkier and heavier than other models in that style, which may or may not be to the OP's taste.

Quoddys are a totally different thing, style wise.

A Suitable Wardrobe used to have a model called The Sloop. It's sleeker than any of the models mentioned in this thread, but I think it looks good with slim pants and a tailored jacket. If you contact them directly, they may still have some in the warehouse (it's no longer on their website).

Another alternative is to browse Yoox. That style is made by dozens of no-name Italian brands, and a lot of it gets offloaded on Yoox. Quality varies.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Jay Butler ones are surely stitched, not glued. I'm tempted, but they're a little over my price for a moccasin, and the soles look so thin. I'd probably want a topy anyway, though.

I like the looks of this pair, but it's more of a refined Quddy than a hard-bottomed driving shoe.

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=2100

Those remind me of Will's pig skin Cleverley loafers, which I've always admired. Saw the suede Anthony Cleverly RTW version in person and was even more impressed. They have a great shape to them.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

Those are fantastic. Though the website photos of the AC shoes aren't perfect, everything I've seen in an "in the wild" pic from them is beautiful -- nice tight waists, which are wonderful on a welted loafer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^

Those are fantastic. Though the website photos of the AC shoes aren't perfect, everything I've seen in an "in the wild" pic from them is beautiful -- nice tight waists, which are wonderful on a welted loafer.

I agree.

It's funny how the internet has changed shopping and people's tastes. Certain things come across much better through a computer screen -- colors, visible details, patterns, etc. Some things don't -- subtle shaping at the waist of shoes, textures of fabrics, fit and silhouettes of garments.

So some things are easy to sell though an online store, such as brightly ties or casualwear with lots of unique detailing. Other things are hard, such as Anthony Cleverley shoes. It's not easily apparent why someone would want to pay $1,500+ for RTW shoes unless they've seen or handled these in person.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree.

It's funny how the internet has changed shopping and people's tastes. Certain things come across much better through a computer screen -- colors, visible details, patterns, etc. Some things don't -- subtle shaping at the waist of shoes, textures of fabrics, fit and silhouettes of garments.

So some things are easy to sell though an online store, such as brightly ties or casualwear with lots of unique detailing. Other things are hard, such as Anthony Cleverley shoes. It's not easily apparent why someone would want to pay $1,500+ for RTW shoes unless they've seen or handled these in person.

That's a really good point. The Armoury does a better job than most of getting that detailing across to the lay viewer, but it still doesn't compare to seeing things in real life. Even a printed photo is going to bring out different stuff from an image on a screen.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mistake. The website shows the stitching on the soles.

To be fair, I thought the pics in the thread showed the sole bottoms. They're crazy thin in the side view.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Yah, I really wanted drivers cause I like the look, but it's just not realistic living in New York City. They would get destroyed. BOrtega Veneta makes this same thing which I'm sure would also be good quality, but trying to stay away from logos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads