Tie Length Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaveitothexperts, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I have always wondered what the "correct" tie lenght is.

It seems that there are plenty of people in NYC who (according to me) have no idea what lenght to wear a tie, and I may soon discover that neither do I but . . . .

I have seen some wear it so long that the tie covers part of the fly and yet others where it so short that the tip of the tie seems not to be reaching the belly button.

I always wear mine where the tip of the tie is at (or just above) the lower part of the belt.

I am interesting in knowing if there is any acceptable length or rule to this . . . .

2. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

i dont know what is the proper length. but i like to have mine stop at the top of the belt when possable. but im short and that seldom works out.

3. drake

drake Senior member

Since you'll be moving your head up and down it's kinda pointless to aim for an exact place for your tie should hit. I just aim for around the belt buckle.

4. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

I would say that they correct legnth for a tie would be for the tie to stop at the belt. Depending upon who you ask, you might find that the tip of the tie should stop at the top of the belt, or others would say that the thickest part of the tie should stop at the top of the belt. I follow the first.

5. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

Since you'll be moving your head up and down it's kinda pointless to aim for an exact place for your tie should hit. I just aim for around the belt buckle.

Agreed to the latter part. You must admit though, leaving room for moving your head up and down should not be a reason for your tie reaching you fly area or above your belly button. IMHO, this is just plain wrong . . . . .

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I like the tip to be halfway down the waistband. If there is excess in the small blade, I tuck it in. Sometimes it will come out but I think there are bigger things to worry about.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I aim for the widest part of the tie to hit the top of the belt.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Standing straight and perfectly still, the tip of your tie should just barely touch the top of the belt buckle. I shoot for this or a little shorter depending on the circumstances.

For narrower ties I like to make them a little shorter sometimes. I usually only do this with an Italian knot or 4 in hand. For any type of windsor and a wider tie I pretty much always shoot for just touching the belt buckle.

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I like the tip to be halfway down the waistband. If there is excess in the small blade, I tuck it in. Sometimes it will come out but I think there are bigger things to worry about.
    [​IMG] I can't say I like ties tucked in. I'd rather retry tying so its right at the top of my waistband than tuck it in, personally.

10. tiecollector

I suppose walking outside naked might be a bigger problem. Some days I get the tie right the first time, on a bad day it will take me 4 tries. Details like the tie length and knot really make or break the outfit. Tucking will also ruin the tie at the bottom.

11. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I like the tip of my tie to just barely touch my belt.

12. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I understand that the tie should cover the shirt's buttoniere..., so as long as it reachs the waist it is ok

13. tiecollector

When ties go past the belt it is just slovenly and inarticulate. I have seen Donald Trump go on air like this. Why not just tuck it into your crotch?

14. epa

epa Senior member

I suppose walking outside naked might be a bigger problem.
    When walking naked, at least you do not have to worry about people criticising your tie length. Should you choose to add a tie to your naked outfit, I would suggest tying it longer than usual, so as to hide your parts, unless you are in some nudist environment where such a "hiding" behaviour might be considered inappropriate.

15. tiecollector

When walking naked, at least you do not have to worry about people criticising your tie length. Should you choose to add a tie to your naked outfit, I would suggest tying it longer than usual, so as to hide your parts, unless you are in some nudist environment where such a "hiding" behaviour might be considered inappropriate.

Hello, go for the gold... a gold bowtie around your parts that is.