Tie Knots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bachbeet, May 17, 2005.

1. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

This may have been asked here before, but I recently joined. What knot do you use the most often? Of the big three (Windsor, half W, and FIH) I tend to use the half W most often. Then, the FIH, then the Windsor. I like them all, though.

2. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Embarrasing to admit - but the only one I can succeed in tying with any consistency is the four-in-hand.

Thank goodness I have a job that is business casual, so I rarely have to wear a tie.

3. dorian

dorian Senior member

Half-windsor... I haven't tied a proper fih in so long I would have forgotten it if not for rarely using a prince bertie ( [​IMG] ).

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Exclusively FIH. Skinny knots for skinny folks. Even Heinrich Himmler looks sharp in a FIH: [​IMG] Speaking of Nazis, I like to (just for fun) accuse Windsor-knotters of being fascists since the Duke of Windsor -- for whom the knot is named -- was a notorious Nazi-sympathesizer during World War II.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Depends entirely on the collar AND the face under which it is perched. FIH is great for point, pinned, and club collars. Half Windsor is better for semi-spread collars. You guessed it: full Windsor for wider spread and cutaway collars. However, if you're wearing a wider spread and have a narrower, more rectangular face (like me), try the Shelby knot. The result is a very triangular knot with a narrow bottom end. Google for how to tie one. Also, if you like a beefier but longer know with point collars, try a Prince Albert. Experiment, find what you like, and go with it.

6. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Try this idea. Let the opening below your face determine the knot. Use a knot that fills the opening. For example, FIH for point collored shirts, Half W for spread collored shirts, Full W for spread collors wider that 4 inches. Also consider the lining in the tie. That needs to be factored in. For BD shirts, I like using a Half W. The knot is larger than the opening and the soft collor bevels out to accomodate. Only soft collors can do this style point. [​IMG]

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It can also depend on the tie itself. If you have a thinner tie but want a bigger knot, I would recommend the Prince Albert to add bulk. I think a four-in-hand will work in almost any circumstance with a Prince Albert thrown in for a spread if you so desire. I use the Pratt sometimes, too, but not much. I see no real point in the Windsor as the Duke himself didn't even wear them. The prince seems to go with a simpler knot himself: [​IMG] Works for me.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

Since I have a long, narrow face, I do exactly this: I wear buttondown or spread collars and use a half-windsor or windsor knot. Usually I'd prefer an asymmetrical knot, though, and I'm not sure how to get one if the FIH doesn't fill the tie space. So I only use the FIH with beefier ties. [​IMG] Will give the Prince Albert a try. Edited to include Prince Albert.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The Prince of Wales is quite short, is he not? Is that a common trait of the Royal Family?

Jon.

Oh, and I use a half or full Windsor depending on the thickness of the tie and the type of collar (I only have cutaways or fairly spread collars). If I use the right neck tie and shirt, and paired with a vest I can pull off a double Windsor.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I don't believe so. I've shaken his hand and he was in the average height range.

11. JLA

JLA Active Member

I wear a tie everyday, I like the look. I use a reverse half windsor. I found this knot is always straight across the top and not tapered to one side of the knot.

12. dorian

dorian Senior member

reverse half-windsor? POW is 5'10" or so... which is why he seems a bit short in comparison to Will or Harry, or bodyguards, for that matter.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Speaking on the behalf of all right thinking men, I would advise against anyone getting a Prince Albert.

edit for spelling

14. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I would recommend the Prince Albert to add bulk.
    Speaking on the behalf of all right thinking men, I would advise against anyone getting a Price Albert.
    IIRC (not having had one or seen one), that doesn't add bulk so much as redistributing it. Â *wince*

15. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

My preferred knot. I donno what it is called. [​IMG] Edited 6 June 2005: Now I know it's called Prince Albert knot. I'd replaced the orginal oversized picture with a smaller one so as not to tired your browser....Thanks chaps.