1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie Knots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bachbeet, May 17, 2005.

1. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

This may have been asked here before, but I recently joined. What knot do you use the most often? Of the big three (Windsor, half W, and FIH) I tend to use the half W most often. Then, the FIH, then the Windsor. I like them all, though.

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Embarrasing to admit - but the only one I can succeed in tying with any consistency is the four-in-hand.

Thank goodness I have a job that is business casual, so I rarely have to wear a tie.

3. dorian

dorian Senior member

Half-windsor... I haven't tied a proper fih in so long I would have forgotten it if not for rarely using a prince bertie ( [​IMG] ).

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Exclusively FIH. Skinny knots for skinny folks. Even Heinrich Himmler looks sharp in a FIH: [​IMG] Speaking of Nazis, I like to (just for fun) accuse Windsor-knotters of being fascists since the Duke of Windsor -- for whom the knot is named -- was a notorious Nazi-sympathesizer during World War II.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Depends entirely on the collar AND the face under which it is perched. FIH is great for point, pinned, and club collars. Half Windsor is better for semi-spread collars. You guessed it: full Windsor for wider spread and cutaway collars. However, if you're wearing a wider spread and have a narrower, more rectangular face (like me), try the Shelby knot. The result is a very triangular knot with a narrow bottom end. Google for how to tie one. Also, if you like a beefier but longer know with point collars, try a Prince Albert. Experiment, find what you like, and go with it.

6. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Try this idea. Let the opening below your face determine the knot. Use a knot that fills the opening. For example, FIH for point collored shirts, Half W for spread collored shirts, Full W for spread collors wider that 4 inches. Also consider the lining in the tie. That needs to be factored in. For BD shirts, I like using a Half W. The knot is larger than the opening and the soft collor bevels out to accomodate. Only soft collors can do this style point. [​IMG]

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

It can also depend on the tie itself. If you have a thinner tie but want a bigger knot, I would recommend the Prince Albert to add bulk. I think a four-in-hand will work in almost any circumstance with a Prince Albert thrown in for a spread if you so desire. I use the Pratt sometimes, too, but not much. I see no real point in the Windsor as the Duke himself didn't even wear them. The prince seems to go with a simpler knot himself: [​IMG] Works for me.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

Since I have a long, narrow face, I do exactly this: I wear buttondown or spread collars and use a half-windsor or windsor knot. Usually I'd prefer an asymmetrical knot, though, and I'm not sure how to get one if the FIH doesn't fill the tie space. So I only use the FIH with beefier ties. [​IMG] Will give the Prince Albert a try. Edited to include Prince Albert.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The Prince of Wales is quite short, is he not? Is that a common trait of the Royal Family?

Jon.

Oh, and I use a half or full Windsor depending on the thickness of the tie and the type of collar (I only have cutaways or fairly spread collars). If I use the right neck tie and shirt, and paired with a vest I can pull off a double Windsor.

10. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I don't believe so. I've shaken his hand and he was in the average height range.

11. JLA

JLA Active Member

I wear a tie everyday, I like the look. I use a reverse half windsor. I found this knot is always straight across the top and not tapered to one side of the knot.

12. dorian

dorian Senior member

reverse half-windsor? POW is 5'10" or so... which is why he seems a bit short in comparison to Will or Harry, or bodyguards, for that matter.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Speaking on the behalf of all right thinking men, I would advise against anyone getting a Prince Albert.

edit for spelling

14. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I would recommend the Prince Albert to add bulk.
    Speaking on the behalf of all right thinking men, I would advise against anyone getting a Price Albert.
    IIRC (not having had one or seen one), that doesn't add bulk so much as redistributing it. Â *wince*

15. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

My preferred knot. I donno what it is called. [​IMG] Edited 6 June 2005: Now I know it's called Prince Albert knot. I'd replaced the orginal oversized picture with a smaller one so as not to tired your browser....Thanks chaps.

16. Charley

Charley Senior member

I like the excellent shape of the pictured knot, but the size is just too small. No, I'm not a fan of the fist sized knots either.

In this case, HRH Prince Charles is not wearing enough collar, and wearing enough knot in his tie. Hard to get a tie for a non collar shrt.

17. pilgrim

pilgrim Member

half windsor for me-i'll try the reverse version

18. Jim

Jim Senior member

Here's the opinion of a well-traveled, Englishman: "The man had taken off his macintosh. He was wearing an old reddish-brown tweed coat with his flannel trousers, a pale yellow Viyella summer shirt, and the dark blue and maroon zig-zagged tie of the Royal Artillery. It was tied with a Windsor knot. Bond mistrusted anyone who tied his tie with a Windsor knot. It showed too much vanity. It was often the mark of a cad."

19. Phil

Phil Senior member

Ive heard that many times, about Bond mistrusting anyone with a windsor tie knot. Note to James Bond fans - HES NOT A REAL PERSON. Id feel sorry for anyone who based their preference of tie knot on a fictional characters opinion.

20. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

I love the windsor knot. Even when I try to broaden my horizons and tie the four in hand, I ususally re-tie the tie with the windsor knot during the day. I just don't like the fact the four in hand is asymmetrical. Looks foolish to me.