• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie knot - what do you guys think

harry2quinn

Reaction score
So I more or less came up with this knot (serendipitously, when I was learning another knot). I think it's simple and quick like a FIH, but it's a little easier to induce symmetry. Another benefit is that it's got more body than a FIH, but less than a half or full windsor.

I'm putting up some pics here to show the process.. please note that these are mirrored pics.

S1030389.jpg

S1030392.jpg

S1030393.jpg

S1030394.jpg

S1030395.jpg

S1030396.jpg

S1030397.jpg

Compare this to size of windsor and FIH, below.

S1030380.jpg

S1030388.jpg

You should also be able to tell that the knot is a little more symmetric than the FIH depicted here.

S1030385.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a half-windsor knot. I use it all the time.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah that's basically the knot I do only I wrap around the back from the right.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Actually, that's not the half windsor. In step 3, here, you bring it down and to the back on the right for the half windsor, but you go to the left on the one I have posted here. It was actually attempting the half-windsor that I came upon this; I believe (I might be mistaken though) that this has a little less volume than the half-windsor, because of half a wraparound less.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep you've tied my knot of choice:

Photo_012009_028.jpg

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Yep you've tied my knot of choice:

So would you call it the same as a half-windsor or is it more of a modified version (dare I say - one third windsor)?

Btw - a big fan of your posts on the WAYW thread, PA.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. using the Fink-Mao nomenclature, your tie knot is Li Co Ri Lo Ri Co

That's distinct from the half-Windsor Li Ro Ci Lo Ri Co (or Ro Li Co finish in the other direction)

It's not one of the 14 knots Fink and Mao reported. I wonder why they didn't consider it a "useful" knot.

Yours does meet the conditions of symmetry and balance.. am I missing something?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
So would you call it the same as a half-windsor or is it more of a modified version (dare I say - one third windsor)?

Btw - a big fan of your posts on the WAYW thread, PA.

That's a good question. Some have called it the bastard love knot of the 4iH and the Half-Windsor. I picked up on it much the same way you did thus I just refered to it as a HW. Whatever it is I love the knot it makes...it's a happy medium between the full symmetry of the windsors and the asymmetry of the 4iH.

Thank you...still learning but having a ball doing it.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Good to know! I wanted to know where this stands, and how it is to be classified. Thanks for the info and feedback.
Also - like PA said, it's a great knot for a modicum of size and symmetry... I hope this was useful at least for tipping off a couple of members on its existence and use.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to use this knot myself and called it a mirrored half-windsor. I think I added one more loop in at some stage though.

I switched to a different knot eventually because I wanted to shorten my ties a bit more and got bored of the slightly cylindrical look of the knot, but it's a nice knot still. The tie knot in my avatar is probably this one.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, and definitely not a half-windsor. But I personally don't see this as a substitute to a FIH, since the purpose of the FIH for me is the asymmetry.

Cordovan

Reaction score
I frequently tie that knot as well. In fact, for years it was the first and only knot I could tie. I learned it as a young boy and stuck with it mostly until now. I've now begun doing more FIH and more bow ties, but still a good knot.

Cordovan

Absolute Beginner

Reaction score
This is also the first knot that I learned. I still use it when I need to shorten my tie a little. I had no idea what the name was though.

Confucius

Reaction score
Another one that uses this knot.

The odd thing is that I learnt it from a video on YouTube, posted by a store manager of the New York Turnbull & Asser, and he refers to it as the half windsor.

Unless of course I'm tying the wrong knot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics