• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie knot suggestions?

fopkid

Reaction score
During the day, my half windsor tie knots tend to loosen (ie, pull away from my neck). So before running into a meeting, I'll tighten the tie up. Despite washing my hands a lot, the 2-3x a day of extra touching has resulted in a number of my printed ties getting faint stains in the same, logical place. The stains will be easy for Tiecrafters to get out, but I'd still like to hear if there's a good way to keep a tie knot in place.

Thanks, guys.

Len

Reaction score
Try folding the tie over twice before pulling it through, and then only pull it through the top layer. It might take a little practice to finish with the correct tie length, but this really works well.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was a four-in-hand guy until recently, when I started playing with alternative knots. I have to say that the half-Windsor drives me nut. It's damn near impossible to get a proper dimple in your tie that stays there over the course of the day. The four-in-hand and the full Windsor both are much better at dimple establishment and retention.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fopkid, try folding your tie over twice before pulling it through, and then only pull it through the top fold. Â It might take a bit of practice to end up with the correct tie length, but you will find that your tie stays in place.
Poor Len... Turns out now that fopKid is folding his tie over 8 times and cannot get ties that go that long so now they look like bowties... Lets all appreciate and thank J when this board gets back on track...
biggrin.gif

armscye

Reaction score
Try the Prince Albert. That's a four-in-hand that gets looped around a second time.

Seems to stay up, good dimple, has a nice asymmetry, and uses up about as much yardage as a half-windsor.

Or if you like working inside out, go with a Pratt (also called a Shelby). You get a nicely equilateral triangle that looks kinda like a half-windsor. The only thing is you have to start with the tie seam-side out, which takes a bit of getting used to.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I second the Pratt (Shelby), which makes a very good alternative to the half-windsor. It's a cool knot, and would serve you well, I think.

fopkid

Reaction score
thanks. as always, the advice on here is terrific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads