1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie for orange and pink gingham?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sgfrank, May 26, 2006.

1. sgfrank

sgfrank Member

Hi, a long time reader, but my first post.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a tie that might work with this Janzen pattern? The shirt just arrived yesterday, and though I intend to wear it casually most of the time, I realized none of my ties really worked with it for the occasions I might want to put on a tie.

http://www.jantzentailor.com/checkers238.htm

I tried with some orange and pink florals and stripes, but it was just too much! I think I need something fairly mute. Anyone?

Thanks,
    S

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Good Lord, that should be included in the Maestro Sartorius final examination!

I'd go with a solid, or at very most a tie with a very tiny and very sparse pattern (like wide-spaced pindots). I'd choose a color that complements both, like a mild, mid-green, or perhaps a dusty yellow (?).

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I bought that same shirt! great pattern, don't you think? It's not as loud as one would think, considering it's pink/orange

anyways, I wore it and have a pic in this thread. The pic isn't too clear but it's a vintage striped tie in a pinkish salmon as the base color along with some olive/dusty green.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Blue ties go with everything. Getting the shade right is the only issue. Since this shirt has so much going on, I'd pair it with a navy grenadine or a blue Charvet type of woven tie. I would keep the tie colors to no more than two, with blue being the predominant and absolutely no large patterns on the tie and preferably no patterns at all.

Edit: I'd pair it with something like this.

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...y=4077&group=1

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. sgfrank

sgfrank Member

Thank you all for your advice. I hadn't thought of green. I found a fairly subdued green tie on the internet, with some smallish pink polka dots (not a pindot, mind). It may end up being too much with those dots, we shall see. If not, it looks like a neat tie, I'm sure it will work with something I have.
    I will also try some of my ties in the blue family. Thanks again,
    S

7. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Navy pindot -- goes with everything.

8. sammy

sammy Senior member

Good Lord, that should be included in the Maestro Sartorius final examination!

I'd go with a solid, or at very most a tie with a very tiny and very sparse pattern (like wide-spaced pindots). I'd choose a color that complements both, like a mild, mid-green, or perhaps a dusty yellow (?).

Ditto.

9. stach

stach Senior member

A white or cream silk shantung would look beautiful with that shirt.

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Thank you all for your advice. I hadn't thought of green. I found a fairly subdued green tie on the internet, with some smallish pink polka dots (not a pindot, mind). It may end up being too much with those dots, we shall see. If not, it looks like a neat tie, I'm sure it will work with something I have.
    I will also try some of my ties in the blue family. Thanks again,
    S

Could be very nice if the polkadots aren't too crowded. The suggestions of solid blue would work nicely, too, as would a bottle green grenadine.

11. 42short

42short New Member

12. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

I'd go with a solid. Navy or black.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Perhaps a tie in the same tone as the orange in the shirt pattern (a bit darker though) with either a paisley pattern (if you are daring), or a dot pattern done in an orange-redish shade.