• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tie damage stories

ezboy1000

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I thought it would be interesting to hear how forum members do when it comes to preserving their ties.

I seem to ruin one tie a year no matter how careful I am: could be a pen brushes across it, with wovens often my dog's greeting does the trick, and my ties are oddly attracted to marinara sauces. I have come to slip my tie inside my shirt while eating alone. I refuse to do this in certain social settings out of pride and social politeness.

So... what about the rest of you?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, ties are disposable. You have to keep that in mind when buying them. If you have a one you really like, take it off the mlinute you are back home (or better yet, driving back) and take it off when you eat too.

!luc

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
yeah, ties are disposable. You have to keep that in mind when buying them. If you have a one you really like, take it off the mlinute you are back home (or better yet, driving back) and take it off when you eat too.

!luc

Or you can take them to Pouyanne and it'll come back almost as good as new for half the price of a new tie. Sigh.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
my maid once put one of my Nicky ties in the washing machine. Doesnt wash the 4 buck Vietnamese ones...oh no...straight to the Nicky.

Lining came detached inside, tie all lumpy and out of shape.

Eventually talked one of my local fleet of tailors to reline it, took some convincing, but came back in decent condition. Repair cost...20000 Vietnam dong - about $1.20

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if I don't use ties often, I wear a tie clip and this solved the problem with the marinara sauces

ezboy1000

Reaction score
My dry cleaner told me this story: guy buys 5 matching zegna ties for his groomsman, putting them in the glove box of his car, only to find a pen has burst and ink is ALL over the ties. This was only a few days before the wedding, and the ties were coordinated with the girls dresses. Of course the ties were ruined.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, ties are disposable even though they cost a lot (due to variety needed). Wovens typically do not last as long as printed ones. I like wovens in cooler months, and prints for summer. Some seasonal rotation keeps them in shape a bit longer. Then I have some that I reserve for periodic use. Just got a a Calabrese seven fold that falls into that category
inlove.gif

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I was sittign down to eat at a political science conference and somehow my only RLPL label at the time plopped right down onto a pile of mashed potatoes and gravy!!!

JR_Rider

Reaction score
To preserve my ties, I always tuck them in my shirt when I am eating. My dad always tells me it's lower class, but as I say to him, "I'd rather look lower class for the hour or so while eating, than walk around with a stained tie for the rest of the day. That's even lower class." I have also found, interestingly enought that for woven ties, if you take a lighter and run it past the loose strands, it will shrink them down back into the tie without leave dark spots, as long as you move the lighter quickly past the strands.

nelly

Reaction score
would it be completely inappropriate to take off a tie and unbutton the top-button on the shirt during dinner, and then put the tie back on when you're done?

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
but as I say to him, "I'd rather look lower class for the hour or so while eating, than walk around with a stained tie for the rest of the day. That's even lower class."

This is why I used to always keep a clean white shirt and a couple of extra ties in my office.

Tucking may have saved the ties, but I was pretty good at getting lunch on my shirt, too.

They'd also come in handy after pulling an all-nighter.

Rolo

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
would it be completely inappropriate to take off a tie and unbutton the top-button on the shirt during dinner, and then put the tie back on when you're done?

Part of the reason the tie endures for gentleman is that is forces good posture, careful and slower eating habits so as not to get something on your tie. That and the fact that you only get things on your favorite ties anyway.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Part of the reason the tie endures for gentleman is that is forces good posture, careful and slower eating habits so as not to get something on your tie.

Very well put. The transformative power of a suit and tie.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Even if I don't use ties often, I wear a tie clip and this solved the problem with the marinara sauces
I used to have that problem when I started to have to wear a tie on a daily basis, about twelve years ago. At that time, I chose to use a tie clip. Now, I have learnt how to eat without dipping the tie into the marinara sauce. When I see someone with a tie clip, I automatically think that this person probably has a problem with his tie and marinara sauces. I guess that is why I do not like tie clips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads