• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Construction

mrchapel

Reaction score
I was admiring some ties at the store earlier in the week. As a result, I got to thinking how difficult it is to make a tie, or even how you would do such a thing. Suddenly I got the idea to try and make a tie myself; however I have no clue where to start. I saw an explanation of sorts on the Mulberrywood custom ties web site, but I was left with some questions, such as how many yards of fabric are required for one tie, what kind of silk fabric is best, how wide does the fabric have to be, where to buy a tie pattern for cutting, etc.

So I thought I'd post my question here and see if anyone could point me to some resources or provide me some insight? I spent a good couple of hours last night on Google and other various search avenues, but I was not able to come up with any concrete information, other than common methods of tie production using machines, etc. I'd really like to learn how to handcraft a tie; think it would be a good skill to have and would love to be able to make custom ties for my brothers and father.

Many thanks in advance!

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr Chapel, 1) It is not difficult to make a tie if you have patience and the skills to make a model boat or airplane, which most of have done when we were boys. The key point is to be willing to remake your tie until it is perfect. We make ties everyday yet we often remake a part of, or an entire tie if it is not perfect. You will probably never find this in a store bought tie, or one made under contract. And certainly never in a machine-made tie. 2) To make a very nice three-fold construction tie requires around 1/2 yard of silk, commercial tie-makers such as Brooks Brothers etc. use a bit less silk. 3) Standard patterns can be purchased from sewing supply type stores or online. For a complex tie with more than three-folds you should take apart your favorite tie to make a pattern or visit the old standby of eBay and buy a used tie. 4) As for silk that is your choice and perhaps the best reason to make your own tie. I would perhaps start with an English twill, and avoid an Italian satin or Thai shot silk as being somewhat more difficult to work with at first. 5) You forgot to ask about interlinings: Use 100% interlining wool from Italy as it is the best currently available. A few stores here and there in New York will sell you English twill silk, and we sell silk and interlining wool online. You can also use whatever wool or silk that you like for your first experiments. Look for a discount online fabric store. Good luck and please post photos of your ties.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
David, maybe you should put together a tiemaking kit for sale with the right amount of everything and some detailed instructions. That would be pretty fun for some of us clothing hobbyists.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
David, maybe you should put together a tiemaking kit for sale with the right amount of everything and some detailed instructions. That would be pretty fun for some of us clothing hobbyists.
J, That is a great idea. Perhaps the Christmas present for the man who has everything? Where you thinking that I should include: Silk, wool, and a pattern with instructions or would I need to include a needle and thread etc. I have another thought.... I will email you.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
J,

That is a great idea. Perhaps the Christmas present for the man who has everything?

Where you thinking that I should include: Silk, wool, and a pattern with instructions or would I need to include a needle and thread etc.

I have another thought.... I will email you.

I agree it is an excellent idea! I'd be very interested in something like that. For what it is worth, I think you'd just need to include the silk, wool, and a pattern with instructions. Not sure if the needle or thread would be needed as you can easily pick those up somewhere for cheap if you do not already have them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it would be easy and cheap enough and work better to include the right kind of needle and the right kind of (silk color matched, I assume) thread. It would only add maybe a dollar to the cost, and would make people more likely to sit down and do the project.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think it would be easy and cheap enough and work better to include the right kind of needle and the right kind of (silk color matched, I assume) thread. It would only add maybe a dollar to the cost, and would make people more likely to sit down and do the project.
J, Thats a good point. It reminds me of Christmas presents as a kid, that did not come with batteries.....

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
J, Thats a good point. It reminds me of Christmas presents as a kid, that did not come with batteries.....
Exactly, I remember getting a bunch of model kits and such that required gathering things we might or might not have around. A lot of them sat in the package collecting dust.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Excellent idea, J.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
^I agree about the needle and thread...An "everything you need" kit would be nice. I'd probably buy one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads