• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie colors you would not wear with a charcoal suit?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And @PhiPsi32, I have a pale german/swedish/irish complexion, with blond (with a touch of brown) hair, and a red beard. This thread was only looking at the combo with white shirts, so rather broad of a topic. When trying to wear a shirt that goes with my complexion that isn't white, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to start. I'm new to "dressing up" for work, and taking it one thing at a time. I have my charcoal and navy suits, a few nice pairs of shoes, and currently I'm experimenting with shirt colors/patterns with the navy suit(so far my favorites are blue/white checkers or pink with blue pin stripe). Once I get more comfortable with matching in the navy I'll move on to the charcoal i think! =P

Sounds like you fall into the medium contrast category. This is pretty good as you can wear high contrast color arrangements as well as low contrast tone on tone combinations. Branching out becomes much easier once you know your color palette. I fall into the "deep" palette which favors blue based colors and avoids yellow based colors. Looking at the color wheel, that encompasses colors from red to green (counterclockwise). The color wheel is very helpful in coordinating your shirt, tie, pocket square combinations.

reinhardgs

Reaction score

aren't heineken bottles green?

that, is an exception :satisfied:

charcoal grey will match with almost anything. I even think to match it with purple

PO, have you ever thought that maybe the problem is the tie itself, sometimes bad tie could makes entire appearance ruined. I've ever wear one of those Harrods tie, come in yellow with little dogs on it. nothing comes good from the people

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads