• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Colors - Interview

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I searched and found several posts on interview attire but wanted to get a couple of opinions on specific ties I am interested in buying for work of course, but also as my "interview" ties. I usually wear a dark navy or charcoal gray suit, and have been looking at these two ties:

454d348.jpg

2daaxqt.jpg

Do you think they are too "bright" or too "power tie" for interview purposes? Should I go for something more muted/subtle? Any opinions on colors/patterns in general? I will be interviewing at a few relatively prestigious organizations where it is expected that one should be fairly well dressed...

Thanks!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Do you think they are too "bright" or too "power tie" for interview purposes?
Yes
Should I go for something more muted/subtle?
Yes
Any opinions on colors/patterns in general?
Probably something in a more conservative blue or burgundy.

trogdor

Reaction score
I can't really tell the colours from my monitor, but here's my $0.02 anyway. The red is too loud. The Navy is fine. I wore a navy pindot to my last job interview, and that's the job I'm now working. YMMV.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
I can't really tell the colours from my monitor, but here's my $0.02 anyway. The red is too loud. The Navy is fine. I wore a navy pindot to my last job interview, and that's the job I'm now working. YMMV.

One is deep purple, and the other is bright orange.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The purple one may be acceptable depending on the job/environment. I wouldn't do the orange. Just to be safe, nothing beats a boring striped tie for an interview.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I see......thanks guys; the orange is out.

Any thoughts on this color:

2cfe6wp.jpg

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2cfe6wp.jpg

I would ditch it and follow the advice you were given -- navy or burgundy or dark red or some other safe color.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. Don't.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
I would ditch it and follow the advice you were given -- navy or burgundy or dark red or some other safe color.

Dammit.....I hate red/burgundy. I don't get to show any pizzaz?

musicboohoo[1].gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

musicboohoo[1].gif

Then go navy. Show pizzaz later, after you have the job.

oldseed

Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

without knowing what job you're applying for... this is not about being yourself. it's about being professional. or as they say, being a professional self. you may want to pick up an interview book and read it if u haven't already... navy, dark red, or the standard stripey rep tie. seed

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2cfe6wp.jpg

Donald Trump called. He wants his tie back.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Donald Trump called. He wants his tie back.

David Spade called.....he wants his horribly over-used joke back.

I was referring to the color, alas, not that specific tie.
plain.gif

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mentioned prestigious organisations, but not what field, or in fact where you're located? I'm in the law, and I've dressed relatively adventurously for interviews with mixed success (once I wore a navy pinstripe suit, a silver Gucci tie and a silk square to an interview, I didn't get the job, but a colleague who dressed with not much more subtlety did...his grades were much better!).

I don't think the deep purple is too rebellious, depending on what the organisation is. For NYC I-Banking or Biglaw, yes. For an NGO or a think-tank, not a chance. Academia, likewise.

When I started my current job (law), I interviewed over the phone and then came in for a first day's sort of probation. I wore a black one-button suit, and a lilac tie like the one you displayed with a horsebit motif, with a white linen square. At the end of the day, when asking me to stay, my boss remarked that I looked just like a young Barrister (I'm not, yet). Made my day, it did!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads