• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tie color with a suit

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When wearing a navy blue suit and black shoes, e.g. for conservative business purposes, is it acceptable to wear a tie with earth tones?

E.g. would a navy and brown tie work? For some reason, this doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I'd ask.

Obviously, if the shoes were brown, I would feel a navy and brown tie would be very good.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a light brown, or dark brown? Also, what color shirt are you wearing?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think brown and navy go fine, but it depends on the shade of brown. For a conservative setting with black shoes, you can't go wrong with a grey tie. Post some pictures of the combinations you are thinking of.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
When wearing a navy blue suit and black shoes, e.g. for conservative business purposes, is it acceptable to wear a tie with earth tones?

E.g. would a navy and brown tie work? For some reason, this doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I'd ask.

Obviously, if the shoes were brown, I would feel a navy and brown tie would be very good.

Usually if there's navy in the tie to compliment the navy suit, it should be fine. If you have a specific tie in mind you may wish to post a photo of it for additional feedback.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the brown had a small detail same color as the shirt, even better. Say, a blue check with same tone blue shirt.

But I'd personally opt for brown shoes.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is navy and dark brown. It is my favorite tie when I wear a navy blazer and khakis or tan colored trousers. The brown is similar to my eyes, so I get compliments on it.

I have another tie, a light blue tie with little brown dots on it that also goes great with the blazer and khakis.

In each case, I like the ties a lot, but when I wear suits, I wear black captoes, so I'm not sure if the ties are appropriate or not when paired with black leather.

For simplicity, assume I'm wearing white shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much navy does the first tie have? The other tie sounds too summery for conservative business dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads