• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tie color with a suit

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When wearing a navy blue suit and black shoes, e.g. for conservative business purposes, is it acceptable to wear a tie with earth tones?

E.g. would a navy and brown tie work? For some reason, this doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I'd ask.

Obviously, if the shoes were brown, I would feel a navy and brown tie would be very good.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think brown and navy go fine, but it depends on the shade of brown. For a conservative setting with black shoes, you can't go wrong with a grey tie. Post some pictures of the combinations you are thinking of.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
When wearing a navy blue suit and black shoes, e.g. for conservative business purposes, is it acceptable to wear a tie with earth tones?

E.g. would a navy and brown tie work? For some reason, this doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I'd ask.

Obviously, if the shoes were brown, I would feel a navy and brown tie would be very good.

Usually if there's navy in the tie to compliment the navy suit, it should be fine. If you have a specific tie in mind you may wish to post a photo of it for additional feedback.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the brown had a small detail same color as the shirt, even better. Say, a blue check with same tone blue shirt.

But I'd personally opt for brown shoes.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is navy and dark brown. It is my favorite tie when I wear a navy blazer and khakis or tan colored trousers. The brown is similar to my eyes, so I get compliments on it.

I have another tie, a light blue tie with little brown dots on it that also goes great with the blazer and khakis.

In each case, I like the ties a lot, but when I wear suits, I wear black captoes, so I'm not sure if the ties are appropriate or not when paired with black leather.

For simplicity, assume I'm wearing white shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much navy does the first tie have? The other tie sounds too summery for CBD.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 144 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 36 8.2%