• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie color advice

johnnykio

Reaction score
Hi all, me again.
I'm trying to fit a tie to my royal blue suit (mtm, made by Monokel Berlin, but more on that in a different post) and having a bit of a struggle with it.
I'll be wearing this suit for my own wedding, which is an afternoon wedding, which means more on the casual side of things.
I'll be wearing the suit with the brown shoes from my last post, and trying to match colors a little bit, while not being 100% matching which is, well.. boring.

Attached are some ties I've tried. I can switch the pocket square to a more colorful one, but I find white good to even out the casualness of the monkstraps and the tie. (Excuse me for the horrible pictures, I don't have a decent full body mirror)
I know that red might be a good choice, but wifey sees it as "a politician's pair. Please don't be a politician", so that's a no-go.
Blue stripes.jpg brown tie.jpg Green.jpg
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the three options, I’m sorry but the red. Own your Nixon!

You could do a repp tie also. I think a white PS like you’re showing is fine.

johnnykio

Reaction score
Of the three options, I’m sorry but the red. Own your Nixon!

You could do a repp tie also. I think a white PS like you’re showing is fine.
Pictured is actually a brown tie. ****** lighting in that room (which is why I haven't made any post about the suit itself yet - it just doesn't do it right) :( .
I feel that a plain tie is a bit boring, isn't it? Too formal, everything is a solid color. I like a little splash of pattern.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I think part of the issue is the suit. It’s a lighter blue, compare to navy let’s say. With the brown buttons it’s almost casual. Throw in brown shoes and you’ve got a lot going on already.

The classic tie color for a wedding is silver. Unfortunately that won’t work. I think burgundy or eggplant may be good options. Definitely keep the pocket square white. Your outfit shouldn’t be fighting against itself.

Other colors that might work are a mint green. What is the color scheme Of the wedding?

JackEst3

Reaction score
Since the suit and shirt are solid, you can easily go with a pattern. As for red, in my opinion, it looks "politician" only in a solid, shiny satin form. For a wedding, a red (or a more muted burgundy) with a small pattern such as paisley or floral would pair excellently with the blue suit.

Also, since it's a summer wedding, I encouarge you to go for brighter colours. The royal blue suit is a great choice, but the ties you've shown are quite dark. Shades of pink, yellow and green as others have suggested may be good options.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do something like a more traditional wedding tie, but with slightly darker stripes if you can find one:

What about bottle green with white pindots if the wedding tie is too formal?

johnnykio

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks for your advice, sorry for not responding - preparations got the most of my time.
I hate to say this but I think part of the issue is the suit. It’s a lighter blue, compare to navy let’s say. With the brown buttons it’s almost casual. Throw in brown shoes and you’ve got a lot going on already.

The classic tie color for a wedding is silver. Unfortunately that won’t work. I think burgundy or eggplant may be good options. Definitely keep the pocket square white. Your outfit shouldn’t be fighting against itself.

Other colors that might work are a mint green. What is the color scheme Of the wedding?
The suit was made to be mostly casual. It was a Friday afternoon wedding (think of it as a Saturday wedding for US/EU. Israel's day off is Saturday and Friday), an extremely casual (as far as weddings can be) event in Israeli terms. Most guests came with shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

I did go for burgundy though. It was a good combination while not being a "politician" like JackEst3 mentioned.
Go bold. Go Pink.
lol, sadly this one didn't work. I'm all in for bold & funny (everyone knows I like my ducky socks), but it just didn't fit this time.
Since the suit and shirt are solid, you can easily go with a pattern. As for red, in my opinion, it looks "politician" only in a solid, shiny satin form. For a wedding, a red (or a more muted burgundy) with a small pattern such as paisley or floral would pair excellently with the blue suit.

Also, since it's a summer wedding, I encouarge you to go for brighter colours. The royal blue suit is a great choice, but the ties you've shown are quite dark. Shades of pink, yellow and green as others have suggested may be good options.
Yes, that's the one I went with. Burgundy with subtle white pindots - formal, not too "politician" and the subtle pattern made it interesting in my eyes.

Thank you all again for your advice. Much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads