• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Clip With a Three-Piece Suit?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What say you?

1300811301.1260552460.additional.01_large.jpg..large.jpg

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always. he should tuck it in a bit better under the vest though and wear it on a slant. That pocket square choice looks like a woman styled it but thats off topic.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too much going on here - hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peak lapels, vest, tiebar and the PS. PS's the easiest thing to eliminate, and tie bar is next.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A big reason why I wear a tie clip is to support to the arch, or "poof" of my tie in absense of a vest. If I am wearing a vest it supports the arch of the tie and the clip isn't really needed. So to me it becomes more of a fashion accessory and comes across as a gimmick.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Way too much going on here - hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peak lapels, vest, tiebar and the PS. PS's the easiest thing to eliminate, and tie bar is next.

And hacking pockets on a 3 piece suit...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends how you wear things like tie bars. No one has ever even commented that I'm wearing a tie bar or indeed an ascot. If someone says OMG your wearing an ascot or a tie bar your not wearing it right or you cant carry it off. The chap in the OP looks really overpowered and overstyled by his clothes.

Peak labels on single breasted suits I don't like.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A big reason why I wear a tie clip is to support to the arch, or "poof" of my tie in absense of a vest. If I am wearing a vest it supports the arch of the tie and the clip isn't really needed. So to me it becomes more of a fashion accessory and comes across as a gimmick.

spot on.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5557315446_c7fb71de8a.jpg

me 53 by davidreeves1979, on Flickr[/IMG]

Im going to probably catch hell for this but I think when worn with a quite simple minimal look like above they add a bit of interest which I think is why they "worked" in the 60s when people wore a more minimal look. The OP picture has just too much going on.

I like them as an adornment as well and less for practical reasons although I do like the way you can arch the tie and keep it in place which even with a vest doesn't quite do it for me.
tinfoil.gif

AxlJack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell

+1 ... Unfortunately voted before i saw the picture properly...

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I love about 3 piece is the double V. Putting a tie clip ruins the lines.

JDMills

Reaction score
I wear one but I keep it under my vest, I find its way too busy if its showing, or I'll wear a tie pin which I don't find as loud and blingy.

loreley

Reaction score
no, the tie bar is redundant, the vest should keep it in place. Not that the function of a vest is to do that, but functionality is still an important part of clothing, and should be considered...

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I think it depends how you wear things like tie bars. No one has ever even commented that I'm wearing a tie bar or indeed an ascot. If someone says OMG your wearing an ascot or a tie bar your not wearing it right or you cant carry it off. The chap in the OP looks really overpowered and overstyled by his clothes.

Peak labels on single breasted suits I don't like.

The man speaks the truth.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
What say you?

1300811301.1260552460.additional.01_large.jpg..large.jpg

No, because that's not where a tie bar goes - it should be placed near the middle of the tie's length.

wearing it way up there is pointless - although it does say "hey look everybody - I have a tie bar!"

which is a totally uncool thing to say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads