• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tie Clip With a Three-Piece Suit?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
3,663
Reaction score
426
What say you?


 

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
3,164
Reaction score
2,188
Always. he should tuck it in a bit better under the vest though and wear it on a slant. That pocket square choice looks like a woman styled it but thats off topic.
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
16
Way too much going on here - hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peak lapels, vest, tiebar and the PS. PS's the easiest thing to eliminate, and tie bar is next.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,977
Reaction score
12,457
A big reason why I wear a tie clip is to support to the arch, or "poof" of my tie in absense of a vest. If I am wearing a vest it supports the arch of the tie and the clip isn't really needed. So to me it becomes more of a fashion accessory and comes across as a gimmick.
 

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
26,130
Reaction score
1,659
Originally Posted by alliswell
Way too much going on here - hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peak lapels, vest, tiebar and the PS. PS's the easiest thing to eliminate, and tie bar is next.

And hacking pockets on a 3 piece suit...
 

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
3,164
Reaction score
2,188
I think it depends how you wear things like tie bars. No one has ever even commented that I'm wearing a tie bar or indeed an ascot. If someone says OMG your wearing an ascot or a tie bar your not wearing it right or you cant carry it off. The chap in the OP looks really overpowered and overstyled by his clothes.

Peak labels on single breasted suits I don't like.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,854
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A big reason why I wear a tie clip is to support to the arch, or "poof" of my tie in absense of a vest. If I am wearing a vest it supports the arch of the tie and the clip isn't really needed. So to me it becomes more of a fashion accessory and comes across as a gimmick.

spot on.
 

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
3,164
Reaction score
2,188

me 53 by davidreeves1979, on Flickr[/IMG]

Im going to probably catch hell for this but I think when worn with a quite simple minimal look like above they add a bit of interest which I think is why they "worked" in the 60s when people wore a more minimal look. The OP picture has just too much going on.

I like them as an adornment as well and less for practical reasons although I do like the way you can arch the tie and keep it in place which even with a vest doesn't quite do it for me.
 

AxlJack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
125
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by alliswell
Way too much going on here - hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peak lapels, vest, tiebar and the PS. PS's the easiest thing to eliminate, and tie bar is next.

+1 ... Unfortunately voted before i saw the picture properly...
 

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
18
The thing I love about 3 piece is the double V. Putting a tie clip ruins the lines.
 

JDMills

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
237
Reaction score
33
I wear one but I keep it under my vest, I find its way too busy if its showing, or I'll wear a tie pin which I don't find as loud and blingy.
 

loreley

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
156
Reaction score
1
no, the tie bar is redundant, the vest should keep it in place. Not that the function of a vest is to do that, but functionality is still an important part of clothing, and should be considered...
 

dbc

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
351
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I think it depends how you wear things like tie bars. No one has ever even commented that I'm wearing a tie bar or indeed an ascot. If someone says OMG your wearing an ascot or a tie bar your not wearing it right or you cant carry it off. The chap in the OP looks really overpowered and overstyled by his clothes.

Peak labels on single breasted suits I don't like.


The man speaks the truth.
 

howbah

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
215
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
What say you?




No, because that's not where a tie bar goes - it should be placed near the middle of the tie's length.

wearing it way up there is pointless - although it does say "hey look everybody - I have a tie bar!"

which is a totally uncool thing to say.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

  • With socks

  • No socks


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
459,978
Messages
9,980,444
Members
207,846
Latest member
Aboud
Top