1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Tie Clip vs. Pin/Tack

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deadly7, Jul 25, 2010.

1. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

I was wondering what the general consensus on tie clips (the ones with the spring that you clip onto your tie and your shirt) were when compared to tie tacks/pins (the ones that you stick through your tie and a button-hole of your shirt) was; I have one of each and, out of reluctance to damage my silk ties, I haven't used the tie tack yet. Have people used tie tacks for long periods on their silk ties here; if so, did you see long-term damage in the tie?

2. landshark

landshark Distinguished Member

Tie Tacks damage your tie every time you use them. The will leave holes and runs that are not repairable. I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone. Tie clips/tie bars are OK. I wear one every day to work (I have maybe 5 different ones). However after 8 hours there is definitely an impression, so it's best to lay the tie flat or to hang it afterwards. I have seen no damage to my ties wearing a tie bar every day.

3. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Distinguished Member

I think tie clips are much more practical/in fashion than tie pins, unless your this guy... [​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

Chris Plummer looks pretty sharp wearing tie pins in Inside Man: [​IMG] [​IMG] Actually, Inside Man has some pretty funky costuming all round... [​IMG]

5. bowtielover

bowtielover Distinguished Member

I have always foudn the tie clips to be more formal lookign then the plain pins, unless the pin is a bit larger and has a distinctive look to it. Of course I have no need for either, this is just a personal observation.

6. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior Member

I own both the pin and the bar, and I use both more or less equally, BUT with different ties. I will only use the pin on any tie where the fabric is rougher to touch and to the eye. In such ties, the hole made by the pin will not stick out as much and can generally be 'massaged' away. I would never use either one on any satin ties, however.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Distinguished Member

I would like to use a pin occasionally, but I just can't bring myself to poke sharp objects through my ties [​IMG]

8. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

^^Do you have any example of fabrics/blends that are able to hold up to having holes poked in them? The biggest reason I haven't worn the tie pin is because I'm afraid it would damage my silk ties. They're 100% silk.

9. Montauk

Montauk Senior Member

^^Do you have any example of fabrics/blends that are able to hold up to having holes poked in them? The biggest reason I haven't worn the tie pin is because I'm afraid it would damage my silk ties. They're 100% silk.

Grenadines. I tack mine all the time.

I imagine knits wouldn't show tack damage either, but since they're more casual it'd be an incongruous look.

10. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Distinguished Member

I imagine knits wouldn't show tack damage either, but since they're more casual it'd be an incongruous look.

Two holes are better than one:

[​IMG]

11. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior Member

I don't use either, but I'd lean towards the clip. Even though the damage may be minimal, putting holes in my clothes doesn't sit well with me.

12. hatguy

hatguy Senior Member

i prefer the clip as the look is sleeker and is less likely to damage the tie.

13. incastoutcast

incastoutcast Senior Member

Anything woven actually goes through pretty easy - if you insert a pin carefully, you should just be able to massage the "hole" out. Ultimately, you shouldn't actually be puncturing anything - just separating fibers - so the weave has to be a little loose.

My favorite is a simple pearl with a silver setting.

14. incastoutcast

incastoutcast Senior Member

^To that end, be sure the pin is nice and thin.

15. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Distinguished Member

Check out James Sherwood's site for a good article on clips, pins and tacks