• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie care

maleofglory

Reaction score
How do you guys keep your ties in tip top shape? Do you exclusively steam them to take out wrinkles? Or maybe you iron them with a shirt over the top to prevent 'shine' marks?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not iron them. I just hang or roll them up after wearing. A periodic steaming would not be harmful.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I roll my ties up, and keep them on the bottom shelf of my armoire. Rolling them seems to really keep wrinkles from reappearing.

As whoopee said, do not iron your ties; they can, however, be steamed by running the iron over the silk (but not letting the surfaces touch) and letting the steam penetrate the silk.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang all my ties on a tie rack, with the exception of silk knits which I roll and keep in a drawer.

pgoat

Reaction score
any tips on getting water stains out? I accidentally dripped some toothpaste on a red silk tie, and blotted it with a wet paper towel to get the toothpaste out. The water line is faint but there. I am afraid to let the dry cleaners at it....would the steam treatment work? Flusser's book recommends rubbing it with an unaffected area of the tie......any feedback on that method?

demo5

Reaction score
If it's a tie you really care about, send it to Tie Crafters in NY; they're expensive, but also the best.

pgoat

Reaction score
well, it's about a $40-50 tie, no sentimental value but it was new and a nice red, I was planning to wear it on interviews in a few weeks......so kinda bummed to let it go but probably cheaper to replace?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiecrafters cleaning service is about 10/tie with a four tie minimum.

Perhaps better to get another tie, and wear the stained one under a vest.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
well, it's about a $40-50 tie, no sentimental value but it was new and a nice red, I was planning to wear it on interviews in a few weeks......so kinda bummed to let it go but probably cheaper to replace?
If you're going to toss it, try wetting the whole thing down (just the outer silk) and letting it dry.

rip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you're going to toss it, try wetting the whole thing down (just the outer silk) and letting it dry.
I did that once with an expensive Davidoff tie that someone (me) had just spilled a half-glass of red wine on. The tie was a wonderful golden yellow, with periwinkle and red occasional dots and a very interesting texture, wich I do not know how to describe except as "scrunchy" . We (everyone at the dinner table, and several adjoining tables, had a different suggestion) tried daubbing with selzer with only minor success, so I just ordered a large glass of selzer, rolled up the tie and stuck the whole thing in the glass to let soak through dinner, dessert, post-prandials, etc... As the stain seemed to be gone after this, I then borrowed a cloth napkin (white) from the Maitre-D', wrapped the tie and went home, where I hung the tie to dry.

By morning, the stain was indeed gone, the tie had dried but was kind of bunched up in places. I steamed it as best I could with a steam iron, but it finally required flat pressing which, unfortunately, flattened down the edges a bit too much, so I inserted a small round tube (actually, the cardboard off a wire pants hanger) up inside the tie and pressed the edges against this, which, amazingly, restored the soft edges of the tie. The only changes I noticed were that the tie seemed to have a slightly different texture, though at least as pleasing as the original, and was just about 1 tone darker in the gold color. This was several years ago and it is still one of my favorite and most worn ties. The only caveat is to be willing to throw the tie away if nothing works.

demo5

Reaction score
If you are in NY, you can bring your tie to tiecrafters and they will do just the one for you. Otherwise, you can take it to Meurice Garment Care, who outsources their tie cleaning to tie crafters anyways. Either one of those methods will let you do one tie.

pgoat

Reaction score
thanks guys

I should do that one at tiecrafters.....I tried fixing a old tie with a wrinkle - my dad's old tie from the 60s - and I ruined it with an iron.
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads