• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie basics 101

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You seem stuck on the notion that black ties are only useful for funerals. Although it is the only color tie I'd wear to a funeral, they are wearable in many other contexts as well. As for your question regarding shirt color, I think a light blue shirt, mid gray suit, and black tie is a great look. I don't have a picture of myself in this specific ensemble, but here's one from a respected SF member:

I am not "stuck" on the idea that black ties are only good for funerals. That is just the only occasion when I personally wear them. I was looking for feedback specifically from those that wear them outside of that context.

Looking at sugarbutch here, i struggle to think of a solid, dark tie that wouldn't look as good, or better. hell, even purple would look good here.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at sugarbutch here, i struggle to think of a solid, dark tie that wouldn't look as good, or better.  hell, even purple would look good here. 

The same can be said for most combos that consist of solid colored items, especially a gray suit and blue shirt: you can wear almost any tie with it. That said, I disagree that a purple tie would look better than black here, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, here are some good write-ups on the versatility of black (specifically knit) ties, with some nice examples of various uses:

http://wax-wane.com/2012/11/26/dark-knit-ties-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-hating-and-love-black/

http://putthison.com/post/36744103836/the-most-versatile-knit-tie-jake-over-at-wax-wane

Also pertinent to the discussion of a basic tie wardrobe is Put This On's excellent and lengthy series on the subject:

http://putthison.com/tagged/The-Necktie-Series
The majority of the images here are at least 50 years old. One is a drawing. The contemporary examples are uninspiring, and that is charitable.

Given most on styleforum have a penchant for brown over black footwear I wonder too how much use a black tie will get. Same for blue over white shirts.

Look, I don't mean to be pedantic. I just struggle with the notion that a black tie is such a useful, can't miss garment. In any given outfit, at minimum, where a black tie might look nice, a navy tie would be a better choice. In many others, any dark tie would suffice. That being said, a black tie can of course look good and if it makes you and others happy to wear one than by all means. But really, a top five tie if you are only to own five? Sorry, I disagree.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The same can be said for most combos that consist of solid colored items, especially a gray suit and blue shirt: you can wear almost any tie with it. That said, I disagree that a purple tie would look better than black here, but that's just my opinion.
Didn't say that purple would be better, only that the grey suit blue (if it is blue) shirt combo allows for nearly any colored tie, including purple.

karwoski

Reaction score
I am not "stuck" on the idea that black ties are only good for funerals. That is just the only occasion when I personally wear them. I was looking for feedback specifically from those that wear them outside of that context.

Looking at sugarbutch here, i struggle to think of a solid, dark tie that wouldn't look as good, or better. hell, even purple would look good here.

Quote:

But nobody is saying you shouldn't buy a navy tie in favor of a black tie, or that black is more versatile than navy. I think if the question were "I could only buy one tie", I think the board would be close to unanimous in favor of navy. And the question you pose, wouldn't navy look as good as black in nearly any situation, couldn't that apply to so many other ties? Why buy brown, or purple, or grey ties when navy does the job just about as well as most of those ties, most of the time?

You are arguing against a point that no one is making. No one is saying that black is more versatile than navy. The question is whether black is a high enough priority to warrant inclusion in a small tie wardrobe. I think people have demonstrated that it does. For specific occasions, black is a key tie to have, and it is versatile enough to work well in other ordinary situations as well, as SB and so many other show us. As such, black should probably be a higher priority than, say, a forest green, when choosing a small tie wardrobe.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But nobody is saying you shouldn't buy a navy tie in favor of a black tie, or that black is more versatile than navy. I think if the question were "I could only buy one tie", I think the board would be close to unanimous in favor of navy. And the question you pose, wouldn't navy look as good as black in nearly any situation, couldn't that apply to so many other ties? Why buy brown, or purple, or grey ties when navy does the job just about as well as most of those ties, most of the time? 

You are arguing against a point that no one is making. No one is saying that black is more versatile than navy. The question is whether black is a high enough priority to warrant inclusion in a small tie wardrobe. I think people have demonstrated that it does. For specific occasions, black is a key tie to have, and it is versatile enough to work well in other ordinary situations as well, as SB and so many other show us. As such, black should probably be a higher priority than, say, a forest green, when choosing a small tie wardrobe. 

+1 to all of this. Was going to post very similar thoughts, but karwoski beat me to it.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
which situation, outside of a funeral? Though, really, if blue is nearly universally accepted as a better choice (something that you freely admit) than black, then if you are only going to own five ties, shouldn't at least two be blue? I listed green, but that is because green looks good on me, otherwise, navy and then a lighter blue. So of the remaining three, is black really so crucial?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the stated Foundational Five preferences would differ for one wearing coat & tie every day, but suits only sparingly, i.e. 3-4 times per month.

Would two lists differ much, if at all?

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A tangent to the black tie versatility discussion - could a case be made that midnight blue is actually more versatile than the black? I have Hober grenadines in both and I find myself wearing the midnight blue much more often. It seems like the midnight blue could serve in a pinch in formal situations and is a bit less harsh in regular wear. I think having one of either is a key staple in a tie wardrobe, but which?

why chose a color that you admit to be harsh, ever, when other options exist? This is my main issue with black ANYTHING really. It's just so.....stark.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The majority of the images here are at least 50 years old.  One is a drawing.  The contemporary examples are uninspiring, and that is charitable.

Given most on styleforum have a penchant for brown over black footwear I wonder too how much use a black tie will get.  Same for blue over white shirts. 

Look, I don't mean to be pedantic.  I just struggle with the notion that a black tie is such a useful, can't miss garment.   In any given outfit, at minimum, where a black tie might look nice, a navy tie would be a better choice.  In many others, any dark tie would suffice.  That being said, a black tie can of course look good and if it makes you and others happy to wear one than by all means.  But really, a top five tie if you are only to own five?  Sorry, I disagree. 

Add me to the chorus here. A plain black tie may indeed be a useful thing for some to have. But I don't reach for a black tie very often. I reach for black very, very rarely. I reach for some variation on navy, burgundy, brown or green. Those colors are far more useful to me than black. The navy blazer of ties, to me, is a navy neat with little red and white rosette designs. I reach for that one perhaps every 5 times I wear a tie, despite having about 50.

I would also argue against the focus on plain ties. I don't wear them often. Even if I only owned five ties, I would prefer classic patterns, but it's good to have at least one to play against heavily patterned shirts.

So here's my advice. At least one navy and one burgundy, and at least one neat and at least one repp. One plain, with texture, in a conservative color. Probably navy. Then two more ties in classic patterns and colors that you like. Yellow, light blue, green, brown, whatever catches your eye. Make one a madder paisley. Ties are there to add color and pattern to an outfit. Whether you have 5 or 50, variation is key.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. It is not at all inconsistent to say:

"I have 40 ties and rarely wear my black one"

and

"If I were limited to only five ties, I would pick a black one."

Being versatile in in a limited situation does equal being a popular choice when options abound.

There are items I'll take on a canoe/camping trip that otherwise gather dust in our garage or kitchen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads