• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie basics 101

Ennius

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I am still trying to decide on the Hober Grenadine type: Grossa, Fina, Prometeo or Piccola.

Any thoughts on these four different types? Its hard to really tell in a picture. Piccola seems to be my favorite so far.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I am still trying to decide on the Hober Grenadine type: Grossa, Fina, Prometeo or Piccola.

Any thoughts on these four different types? Its hard to really tell in a picture. Piccola seems to be my favorite so far.

Well, I believe that the grossa and prometeo are the coarser weaves. If the tie is solid (i.e., not patterned) I personally would prefer one of them for exactly that reason since in a solid tie the interest tends to be in the texture.

If the tie has a pattern I might consider one of the others, but it would depend on how the pattern interacts with the weave.

Ultimately, you're the one who's paying for it and wearing it, of course.

Cheers,

Ac

Balfour

Reaction score
I have grenadines in all four and like all four. Fina is more 'below the radar'; grossa is more noticeable. If you need to fly below the radar, then fina is a better bet.(*) Personally I like grossa best of all, although piccola is very nice too.

Here's David's side by side comparison: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine.htm

(*) Someone once said on one of these boards that a grossa had been mistaken for a knit. This doesn't strike me as a real world problem, but I can see in a very conservative environment that may be a cause of concern (given that a solid grenadine of any weave is a relatively formal tie and a knit decidedly is not).

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am wearing a charcoal/silver hober Garza grossa with a blue jacket, white spread collar and white hank for a business event tonight and I can't imagine anyone thinking it inappropriate.

+1. The silver / grey grossa is one of my go to ties when a navy suit / jacket and white shirt is involved. I've received nothing but compliments.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There seems to be a general consensus emerging regarding what would be the five ties to own if you could own only five.

What would be next, if you could own, say, ten?  Would you include any striped ties, such as repp or regimental ties?

Cheers,

Ac

A lot of this comes down to personal taste. I like stripes, but some would call them "schoolboy ties." You can't go wrong with the Brooks Brothers #1 stripe in blue or red.

Oh yeah, don't buy a black tie until you have about a dozen others. Navy will be just as versatile and not make you look like you just came from a funeral.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of this comes down to personal taste. I like stripes, but some would call them "schoolboy ties." You can't go wrong with the Brooks Brothers #1 stripe in blue or red.

Interesting point. Thanks. I never made that connection ("school boy") myself but now that you mention it I can understand why some might make that association.

I agree that the BB in the photo looks very nice. By the way, I like the shirt too. What is it?

Cheers,

Ac

Poncho1992

Reaction score
Plaid ties are unnecessary for a workplace rotation. (Which also means that virtually any kind of plaid is acceptable if the office isn't very formal.) Repp ties should include colors like blue, yellow, and red, and not feature two loud colors (for instance, orange with pink).

To answer the UK-based question, TM Lewin has some low-priced ties. But don't buy everything from one brand.

Took your advice and went to TM Lewin and they had a sale on. Got this tie:
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Navy-Satin...t=52&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=colour&prefv1=Blue

Now that I've seen the (much larger) sale online, thinking of ordering a few more. I gather these are the right colours(?!), so help me out with which ones to buy?

Burgundy: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Burgundy-O...=5&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain
or perhaps this brown knit instead? http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Brown-Knit...48&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain

Green herringbone: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Green-Herr...18&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain
or green knit? http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Green-Knit...33&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain

Should I be looking at getting a silver/grey tie at this point as well? Bearing in mind so far I only have the one tie I posted above! Perhaps one of these? http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Silver-Her...21&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain or http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Grey-Ottom...26&cgid=Mens-Ties&prefn1=pattern&prefv1=Plain

These are the best prices i've seen recently so thought i'd get a few while I can.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting point.  Thanks.  I never made that connection ("school boy") myself but now that you mention it I can understand why some might make that association.

I agree that the BB in the photo looks very nice.  By the way,  I like the shirt too.  What is it?

Cheers,

Ac

No idea. Pulled the picture from somewhere else on SF after doing a search.

BenMurphy

Reaction score
Planning to pick up a couple grenadines. Probably going to go with hober, but I was wondering if anyone could relate the quality of the kent wang grenadines?

Great thread

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you wear a lot of blue shirts, and especially if you wear navy suits or jackets often, brown is a great tie color. I actually prefer something like a Hober bitter chocolate grenadine to the redder burgundy. A brown with light blue stripes or dots also looks great. They don't go with white shirts or grey jackets, so they're not quite as versatile as burgundy, but brown goes so well with blue, I'd consider a top 5 contender. For example, from MalfordOfLondon in the WAYWRN thread:
There's a lot good with that outfit, but the tie is clearly the star. I don't see how a brown tie can't be top 10, at least.
Brown ties "don't go with white shirts or grey jackets"? Huh? Nonsense. A brown tie goes fine with a grey suit, though admittedly better with a light blue shirt than white. I would say a brown tie isn't as versatile as a burgundy because it would require brown shoes (at least, most would agree) and is also seen by some as a seasonal tie. A burgundy tie, on the other hand, can be worn regardless of shoe color and season, thus making it more versatile.
Oh yeah, don't buy a black tie until you have about a dozen others. Navy will be just as versatile and not make you look like you just came from a funeral.
Black ties look fine outside of a funeral setting. No one is actually going to think you "just came from a funeral" because you are wearing a black tie. That said, what if you, um, actually need a tie to wear to a funeral? That reason alone should put a solid black tie in anyone's top 5 list, as others in this thread have mentioned.
Planning to pick up a couple grenadines. Probably going to go with hober, but I was wondering if anyone could relate the quality of the kent wang grenadines?
Kent's grenadines are fine, but for just $5 more, it makes a whole lot of sense to opt for Hober over KW as you can choose your exact dimensions with the former. I also dislike how thick KW grenadines are, being that they are lined 6-fold grossa weaves. They make for an enormously bulky knot and drape very stiffly; as a result, I promptly returned the two that I ordered. Very happy with the numerous Hobers I have since bought.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads