1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie basics 101

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ennius, Sep 18, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Knits should be skinnier than a comparable non-knit tie. One reason I am not a fan of them (plus I don't really care for the squared off bottom).

2. SirJamesWinston

SirJamesWinston Well-Known Member

What the knit lacks in width, it more than makes up in character. A 2.5" knit, or 2.75" will look much more substantial than a regular 2.5"/2.75" woven. I prefer my woven ties between 3" and 3.25". I also didn't like them till I got them. I still like grenadines more, but see knits as more useful.

3. archibaldleach

^ To each his own. I have absolutely no issues wearing grenadines with an odd jacket (I find the texture of the grenadine complements the texture in a lot of odd jackets and find texture, color and pattern to be far more important than whether grenadines are seen by a small number of people as too formal for odd jackets) but would never wear a knit tie (even if I liked them) with a suit. If you wear a lot of odd jackets and very few suits, however, I could see how you might prefer knits.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

^^^^ As I stated up thread, and as Archibald better explains just above, the texture of a grenadine, particularly with a grossa, works well with many odd jackets. That's why I regard mine as so versitile. In fact I have my Bitter Chocolate on today with a sport coat.

5. sultan22

sultan22 Active Member

Are you able to post pics when u get a chance?

6. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

^ Here is a pic from last week - Kent Wang navy grenadine grossa with a brown sportcoat. Thought it worked decently enough.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. archibaldleach

Mediocre photographs, but a couple examples of a grenadine tie with an odd jacket are below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. sultan22

sultan22 Active Member

The pics illustrate your point very well. The texture of the grenadine matching the texture of your sport coats.
    I like solid ties, but will invest in grenadine instead of the plain variety bcos they seem more versatile and visually appealing.

9. sultan22

sultan22 Active Member

I think the colors match really well. Love your tie!
    I started with tiebar bcos any mistake I make want cost me much :) .. but I'm now convinced about getting a grenadine in navy blue from Kent Wang or Sam Hober for the more dressier occasions.

10. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

11. archibaldleach

Quite versatile IMO. I think it would be fine with a mid-grey suit (I actually prefer very dark ties with medium grey or lighter suits). I also like to pair it with some odd jackets.

12. wojt

wojt Senior member

If it's not too much of a bother could someone anwser; how is square spiral pattern called?
    And is it considered some kind of faux pas on SF to wear one? Didn't see much of them around.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My $45 pre-order grenadine from The Knottery just arrived; I imagine others have now received theirs too, or are about to.

I'll try to post a pic when my schedule allows. Might not be this week.

Cheers,

Ac

14. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

I got an email this morning from The Knottery stating they now have grenadines up for preorder in 3.25 and 3.5" widths. That's nice to hear, as their previous 3" grenadines are too skinny for my taste. I'm very happy with my Hober grenadines, but at $50, I'm tempted to try one from The Knottery. Need to add a black one to my collection.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Here are a couple of quick shots of the Knottery burgundy grenadine I mentioned a couple of posts back. The color is most accurate in the first photo. I also attach a copy of close-ups so you can see the weave if you want; these make the color look lighter than it actually is, however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s heavier and stiffer than my Drake’s grenadine, a result of different interlining I assume. The stiffness may very well diminish over time as the tie gets broken in, of course.

They’ve now announced that they’re taking pre-orders for wider (3.5 inch) grenadines:

http://theknottery.com/grenadine-tie-special-wide-pre-order-burgundy-3-5.html

They’re now $10 more than before, but at $50 they’re still certainly worth considering.

Cheers,

Ac

16. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Do you have any ideas why this combination of the collar and the tie give a crease? Is the shirt cloth too soft like say Egyptian cotton?

[​IMG]

17. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

^^^ looks as if your shirt is a couple sizes too large for your neck.

1 person likes this.
  18. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Re. grenadines and odd jackets:

I would wear a grenadine with blazer and greys. Manton, as I recall, is not keen on grenadines with odd jackets, although in one of his BlazerSuit threads he combined blazer and greys with a gunmetal grenadine to great effect:

[​IMG]

Connery Bond also:

[​IMG]

But I wouldn't wear grenadine with a nubbier odd jacket. In my mind grenadine is a formal tie, and I can't square this with the casualness of an odd jacket. Ancient madder, wool, etc. better options, IMO.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. TheOttosauraus

TheOttosauraus Well-Known Member

Grenadine is usually best for suiting but I feel as if it works with darker shades on odd jackets. I wouldn't do it with brighter hues but it's an alright look.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  20. archibaldleach

Re: the grenadine with odd jackets issue, I have no issue wearing my grenadine ties with anything from suits to the occasional tweed odd jacket. While grenadine ties may be higher on the formality scale and in a sense unsuited for odd jackets, I find that the texture of the ties gives them an added amount of versatility. One man's opinion and I'm certainly not claiming that there is a rule for this, but I happen to think it's a fine look.