• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Bars? Cast your vote for or against

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No not bars with alot of ties to choose from we're talking about:

A tie bar (also tie slide, tie clip, or tie clasp)[1] is a neckwear accessory that clips a tie to the fold of a shirt, preventing it from swinging and ensuring the tie hangs straight, resulting in a neat, uniform appearance. Rising to prominence in the 1920s,[1] the tie bar is typically worn by necktie wearing professionals.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like them, myself

cuffthis

Reaction score
Yes, love tie BARS (the longer ones), not tie CLIPS (the short ones). And only when worn at a jaunty, 45 degree downward angle.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm against, they have a great functionality, but by Zeus do they look dated and odd. I saw one at the yacht club last week, but it could be the guy was odd to begin with
laugh.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soph, I think that you would have to rework the poll options to get an informative picture re forumers' opinions of tie bars. I would suggest something like:

Love them--never wear a tie without one.
Like them--usually wear one, but not always.
Pretty neutral about them--might wear one, but haven't to this point.
Don't like them--wouldn't wear one, but can see how others might like them.
Hate them--think guys who wear them look dorky.

I say this because I couldn't respond to the poll as it stands. I'm in Category 2 above; I usually do wear one, but can see going without on occasion.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Soph, I think that you would have to rework the poll options to get an informative picture re forumers' opinions of tie bars. I would suggest something like:

Love them--never wear a tie without one.
Like them--usually wear one, but not always.
Pretty neutral about them--might wear one, but haven't to this point.
Don't like them--wouldn't wear one, but can see how others might like them.
Hate them--think guys who wear them look dorky.

I say this because I couldn't respond to the poll as it stands. I'm in Category 2 above; I usually do wear one, but can see going without on occasion.

Yes, your poll is much more mature
devil.gif
, accurate than mine
smile.gif
. I was just throwing it out there. Why not repost the poll with your criteria and make sure you show who votes for what ( I didn't do that
plain.gif
)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're very old-fashioned and out-dated......
No redeeming point even a Cartier one would look odd!!!!
They are normally worn by some nerd who is going to bore you to death with some obscure subject involving a lot of "me,me,me,me"....
They can be seen normally around cricket grounds or tennis clubs.....
I'm lucky enough not to be part of any club ,country in any form of shape,yacht or others, but my company gave me one recently for being a good employee.....
5 words: Thrown immediatly into a bin...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear them occasionally . They're a quirky retro little addition to an ensemble and sometimes just what's needed. But I don't use them often, it has to be said. A few years ago for several months, I wore one most days and just got bored of them.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
They are normally worn by some nerd who is going to bore you to death with some obscure subject involving a lot of "me,me,me,me"....
I'm lucky enough not to be part of any club ,country in any form of shape,yacht or others, but my company gave me one recently for being a good employee.....

Funny you say that, that's exactly where I saw it: The Chicago Yacht Club. I didn't see any of the girls going wow, check out that sexy, snazzy tie clip.
crackup[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to a cricket match and you will enjoy the most awful defile of horrendous polyester ties ,worn-out blazers and boring old farts you have never met in your life........
Tie bars are compulsary over there...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a cricket match and you will enjoy the most awful defile of horrendous polyester ties ,worn-out blazers and boring old farts you have never met in your life........
Tie bars are compulsary over there...

Any superficial judgmental assholes?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The statement you have just made is just contradicting the point you're trying to raise!!!!!
When someone is trying to appear open-minded,it is better to avoid insulting others....

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The statement you have just made is just contradicting the point you're trying to raise!!!!!
When someone is trying to appear open-minded,it is better to avoid insulting others....

On the contrary; I don't criticize your character based on what you wear but, rather, based on what you do and say. Mocking the attitude of douchebags in Armani suits and popped collar Polo shirts is, I suppose, one thing. But mocking people who try to dress nicely and classically simply because you perceive them to "stodgy" is pretty pathetic. The fact that you see a "worn-out blazer" and think yourself superior speaks volumes.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's allright to criticize young douchebags in Armani but impossible to do the same for another segment of the population....
Who give you the right then to call them douchebags? On which basis?
How do you know that these untouchables are classically dressed or in any way elegant?
Are they an undangered species?On which basis do they have an immunity from piss-taking? They do like cricket or they're English from the home counties?
Would be defend with the same emphasis the bling bling boyz from Brixton?
Is it a bit of partisan analysis?
The problem with taking the moral higher ground ,it will condemn you not judge anybody else from now...
I'm for equal opportunity and honesty....
And if they do wear worn-out blazers and tie bars ,it is my right to
We're here to have a laugh and sometimes poke fun at ourselves....
I will easily laugh equally at City traders or Fashionistas or one of my fellow countrymen when it is needed...
And as you do not have a clue about myself except the threads you're reading,please do not emphasize on the way i do think ....
It is a bit sad that some people are trying to get personal every time we disagree with them ....

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lasbar, what zjpj83 is saying--much more eloquently than I am--is that it is just the opposite of the open-mindedness you claim for yourself to be saying the things above. Is "No redeeming point even a Cartier one would look odd" being open-minded? In fact, there are a number of folks on this forum that do consider tie bars attractive and do wear them. It's one thing to not like them yourself and consequently not wear them (and say as much on the forum); it's quite another to refer so dogmatically to all those who do as "boring old farts." Perhaps you just need to grow up a little.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by soph
Funny you say that, that's exactly where I saw it: The Chicago Yacht Club. I didn't see any of the girls going wow, check out that sexy, snazzy tie clip.
Well, somehow I suspect that the same girls probably aren't going to be going wow "check out those sexy cufflinks" or "check out those sexy shoes" either!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads