Tickets to Teatro alla Scala di Milano

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Papageno, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Papageno

Papageno New Member

Hi everybody,

I have just bought tickets to the opera at Teatro alla Scala di Milano, in Italy, so I need to know how should I be dressed for that occasion. In my country (I am from South America), if you go to the opera you just need a tie and a jacket. Never a tuxedo, and not even a black suit with black tie, unless you want to look over dressed.
    But this is Milano, not South America! I am attending to the premier of Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), a four days opera cycle composed by Richard Wagner, and my seats are in a box in the second level.
    What should I wear?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

When I went to La Scala everyone was in suit and tie, but absolutely no tuxedos. An opening night might be different, but I remember asking someone who said it was not. Unfortunately I can't remember who this was so I don't know how reliable that is. But certainly you can wear a suit and tie and not worry about being underdressed.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Suit and tie should be fine - it is at the Fenice here anyway, even for the Royal Box.

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I was at Don Giovani last year for opening night and it was about 75% tuxedo, 25% suit. Women were in their finest, men were dressed head to toe and it was one of the best renditions that I've ever seen.

Papageno - if you have a tuxedo, wear it. If you don't, wear evening appropriate clothing and make sure to look your best.