• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket Pocket--Yea or Nay

AJM

Reaction score
Perhaps they should re-name it to the iPhone pocket . . . then it becomes relevant and utilitarian as it was originally intended.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no."

Some of the great dressers of times past had ticket pockets, such as Adolphe Menjou and Fred Astaire. Menjou had them on double breasted suits.

On the other hand, Alan Flusser advised me against it for a double breasted suit on the basis that there are enough "things" going-on in the coat, such as the two rows of buttons.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them quite a bit and use them often, however I don't like them on double breasted.

As mentioned above I'm 6' and have very short legs (30' inseam). I also have a broad chest (46) and a fairly large drop to waist (36), so I think the ticket looks good in that space.

bebop d

Alpha-M
Reaction score
When the smaller ticket pocket is nested inside a larger pocket in Neapolitan tailoring I think they can look great - and more casual than the rather quotidian UK tailoring version.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
funny how something thought of as an affectation in one country is considered standard in another.

like how wearing brown split toe derbies in SF is considered “dressing up” but wearing the same shoe in other locations is viewed as a more “Caj” approach/style?

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Ticket pockets: always, on single breasted suits (exception: a very “busy” checked tweed suit). There is enough going on on a DB, so no ticket pocket there.

Slanted pockets, with a minimum slant only: only on tweed coats (hacking jackets), to be worn with grey or corduroy trousers, not on tweed suits. All other SB lounge suits (worsted, flannel, whatever…): ticket pocket, no slant.

Vents: always two, except on tweed coats (hacking jackets): one vent. All other suits, including tweed, plus navy reefer jackets (=“blazers”, always DB): two vents. DJ: no vent, of course.

All trousers: turn-ups and braces, except (no turn-up): morning suit and DJ.

Quite simple, really. Who said that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds?

SSSPERF

Reaction score
Well, will never own a suit/sport coat with a ticket pocket. A silly looking addition that interrupts the design. Two or three inner pockets serve the ticket storage, well. Can also possibly make one a bit plump looking. A gimmick sartorial scam, imho. Just trying to hard.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a poll question being answered with post. It's personal opinion, but pictures can do a lot to sway those on the fence. Post pictures if you have them. I don't mind ticket pockets, but don't seek them out given my personal style aesthetic. They can certainly look good IMO.

PRL suits with ticket pockets.

8B4E55FA-A239-48DD-A61E-D2737C1065D5.jpeg

9655E08F-3E11-4011-BFFA-4E7E3512CA20.jpeg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally like. Nice, traditional look.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not a fan of them on suit or sports coats, they add visual bulk where you don't want bulk: right at the waist.

I love them on overcoats, because from my POV they're supposed to be bulky, I like the asymmetry and they add visual interest.
Agree on point one and two.
I usually tuck them inside on my jackets

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads