• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket Pocket--Yea or Nay

paxonus

Reaction score
I have always found this pretentious. Anyone disagree?

1632184276059.png

pablum

Reaction score
I like them if you have a large drop from shoulder to waist - it can add visual interest to the waist so the drop doesn't appear so extreme.

papado

Reaction score
It's all personal preference but I do find if you're a slightly larger or broader build the ticket pock helps take up some of the visual space.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of them on suit or sports coats, they add visual bulk where you don't want bulk: right at the waist.

I love them on overcoats, because from my POV they're supposed to be bulky, I like the asymmetry and they add visual interest.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Like a lot of people, I had them added to everything when I first started getting my jackets made. Definitely a pathetic little "look at my custom suit!" flex. (This was around the same time those two F***ers who founded Indochino were going around pretending like they invented tailoring and telling us all to get ticket flaps, side tabs, and contrast lapel buttonholes, and leaving open our surgeon cuffs. Ugh.)

Once I got over that and returned to the more zen place of my clothes specifically not calling attention to me, the extra flap looked a bit excessive and I've since stopped asking for them. I did float the idea a few weeks ago for my next jacket (POW 6x2 DB) at a new tailor, more to pick his brain on the matter than anything else, and was specifically discouraged since there's already so much going on on the front of a patterned DB that an extra bell/whistle just starts making the scene chaotic, like in the OP pic. As a nod to 19th century functionality, I get the flapped hip pockets slightly slanted, which I think is a much more subtle, less potentially gaudy, historical detail.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like them. I'm 6'1 and there is enough space on my jackets for them to fit in nicely. Ticket pockets have also started more than one sartorial conversation as someone invariably asks what they are for. Good way to open younger folks eyes a bit on how they dress.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal taste is that it depends how much else is going on with the suit. In a subtle, solid or solid-ish color 2B I like them and have them on a few of my jackets and think they can be done tastefully.

On any of: a sport coat, more bold pattern, DB, something with hacking pockets I’m not a fan and think it can get too busy for my taste. Like the other guys have said though it also depends how much room you’re working with on the jacket either vertical or width. If I needed to take short sizes I think I’d be more likely to pass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads