• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket pocket/Chan question

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recently, someone, I think it was Vintage Gent., posted a photo of his new Chan suit and some people thought the ticket pocket was too high. I have searched high and low for this thread and cannot find it. I was curious to revisit it and see if someone had any info on how far the ticket pocket should be placed from the regular pocket. I thought the ticket pocket might be a bit higher than it should be as well.

Absent the thread, which I cannot seem to find, does anyone have any idea on ticket pocket placement in relation to the regular pocket?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you steamed your Chan suit, yet? If so, is the lapel roll/belly more to your expectation?

dan

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you steamed your Chan suit, yet? If so, is the lapel roll/belly more to your expectation?

dan
I haven't, since it will have to be shuttled back to Hong Kong for alterations any way. Strangely enough, though, the roll has started to appear on its own.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Absent the thread, which I cannot seem to find, does anyone have any idea on ticket pocket placement in relation to the regular pocket?
The pockets themselves (that is, opening to opening) are supposed to be 3" apart, give or take depending on a person's height. This means that the bottom of the ticket pocket's flap should be about 1" or maybe 1 1/4" above the bottom pocket's opening. Also, the ticket pocket should be just a hair "forward" or "inside" the hip pocket.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Stu @ Feb. 15 2005,16:57) Absent the thread, which I cannot seem to find, does anyone have any idea on ticket pocket placement in relation to the regular pocket?
The pockets themselves (that is, opening to opening) are supposed to be 3" apart, give or take depending on a person's height. This means that the bottom of the ticket pocket's flap should be about 1" or maybe 1 1/4" above the bottom pocket's opening. Also, the ticket pocket should be just a hair "forward" or "inside" the hip pocket.
You mean that the ticket pocket's inside edge (closer to the buttons) should be more inside? Here are some crappy drawings to illustrate what I'm asking. Are you saying it's ===== ====== ? = is pocket or do you mean that the ticket pocket should not be the full width of the bottom pocket (also illustrated above)?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Both. The typical front hip pocket on (say) a 42 coat is 6 1/2" long. The ticket pocket should be 4" or a little less (3 3/4"). And its inner edge should not line up perfectly flush with that of the hip pocket. Curiously, if it does, the shape of the coat creates an optical illusion that the ticket pocket is actually too far back and not flush at all. Also, the front inner edges of the coat (those that hang down from the waist button) are generally angled out to some degree, and the line of two pockets should mimic that. So good tailors place the ticket pocket a little bit forward.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, as per your comment on depending on the height of the person: How would height affect placement? For example, I am 5 10 - 5' 11" and about 180 pounds. neither tall nor short. Would that placement hold true for a man of my size?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, as per your comment on depending on the height of the person: How would height affect placement? For example, I am 5 10 - 5' 11" and about 180 pounds. neither tall nor short. Would that placement hold true for a man of my size?
Yes. You could ask for 1/8" closer, but any but the most fanatic and meticulous tailor would look at you like you were crazy.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and the ticket pockets on my straight-pocket WW Chan coats run a little bit over 3.5" vertically from opening to opening, and they seem just slightly too far apart to my untrained eye. Â Observe:
P1000182.jpg
Interestingly, my comment in the other thread was that I'd like the pockets to be about .25" to .5" closer together. Â This would seem to be an instance where proportion drives the "rules" (standards?).

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the "new and hip" look of the ticket pocket? It's placed either directly on top of the lower one or overlapping it with no space between the two pockets. I think Paul Smith and other similar brands are guilty of this style. There's pictures of this out there somewhere on the internet and if I wasn't so lazy I'd post an example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics