• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifters: when do you go?

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
We probably need a thread on thrifting rules in general. A few of mine:

if it says 'bespoke' on the tag....it's not

Made in Italy isn't a synonym for 'it's good and/or well made'

Savile Row the brand has nothing to do with the tailors we hear so much about.

If you see Macy's on the tag you can pretty much keep moving.

Spend lots of time looking at the thrift thread and the suit hierarchy thread prior to spending a lot of money thrifting. Many of us (me included) make a lot of **** purchased because we don't know anything. Oh, and do things like passing Oxxford suits because who misspells Oxford? I really thought it was an off brand when I first got started. This is the number one rule for anyone getting started!

Higher end thrift stores that charge $100 for a Nautica suit don't know a lot of high end brands. I have gotten $6 Samuelsohn's in a store with that $100 Nautica because it's relatively rare and normal people have no idea about it.

As stated frequently, 99% of stuff in the thrifts are total garbage, that's why they are there. Most days you won't find good stuff. If you want to build a wardrobe you have to spend time looking and at several stores.

Any others?

Agreed!

I will say, watch out, certain stores are better than others. If you're starting, call every nice clothing store in town and ask what they do with their damaged and display merchandise, 9 out of 10 will say "I don't know", or we send it back to the manufacturer. But I know where say Brooks sends it's stuff and got a brand new Brooks tux with only a little break in the lining, nothing else wrong with it. All tags $20.

Second, some thrift stores run by organizations that have money are good. There's one here run by a rich trophy wife club, and it's full of good stuff. Granted they know how to spot the good stuff and will put a high price on it, but for example there, I got a Britches of Georgetown cashmere overcoat perfect fit for $35(half off).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads