• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thrifters: when do you go?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,316
Reaction score
2,690
I only ever stop by Goodwill or Value Village if I'm in the neighborhood and have a few minutes. However, I'm sure there are better times to look - after shipments come in, before they've been stripped clean. Anyone have hints? Bonus gratitude to info for the Seattle area!
 

mk.ultra

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
235
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I only ever stop by Goodwill or Value Village if I'm in the neighborhood and have a few minutes. However, I'm sure there are better times to look - after shipments come in, before they've been stripped clean. Anyone have hints? Bonus gratitude to info for the Seattle area!
You need to dedicate more than a few minutes. I'm usually in a store for 1-2 hours depending how good it is. I just go when I have free time, which isn't too often. Goodwill is almost always working on putting stuff out. Source: Used to work at Goodwill.
 

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,316
Reaction score
2,690
Agreed! I always think I'm going to just be a few minutes, but it does always take a chunk of time to sift through things. Thanks for the response!
 

Poindexter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
422
Reaction score
14
I asked a girl who checks out at Saver's this question, and she said, 'There is no better time. We put stuff out all day, and the flippers, a lot of them come in several times a day.'

Luck o' de draw, man.

Poinz
 

andrew96

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
272
Reaction score
3
These's no best time, you just have to get lucky. I don't take quite that long. I look carefully through the jackets, then shirts, then shoes, I quickly look through the ties,belts and I don't look at the pants. I'm not a fan of other people's pants.
 

amadar

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
827
Reaction score
109
Originally Posted by andrew96
These's no best time, you just have to get lucky. I don't take quite that long. I look carefully through the jackets, then shirts, then shoes, I quickly look through the ties,belts and I don't look at the pants. I'm not a fan of other people's pants.

+1. My routine exactly. To hell with other peoples' pee-soaked leftovers.
 

RedRaider

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I will say I seem to enjoy weekdays, especially during lunch or right after work - there are a ton less people there and I find I am able to really take my time.

Most thrift stores don't have a set schedule to put out new stuff, at least the ones where I am don't. I've seen employees come out with four or five racks of new clothes when I am there and other times I don't see any employees putting out new stuff - the key is to go often and look over everything. Thrift stores are disorganized by nature IMO - thus I look in every size section and every bin in and around certain areas.
 

gdwy89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Poindexter
I asked a girl who checks out at Saver's this question, and she said, 'There is no better time. We put stuff out all day, and the flippers, a lot of them come in several times a day.'

Luck o' de draw, man.

Poinz


Right idea, but I think the wrong generalization. Stores can vary from location to location so my advice would be to ask. You may get an answer like Poindexter's or you may hear something different.

I like to go in the middle of the week. Gives the employees an opportunity to replenish the stock from the weekend rush. Also my Goodwill has a 20% off everything sale (not already marked with the week's 50% off tag) on Wednesdays for students, seniors, and servicemen.
 

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
9,161
Reaction score
16,441
Originally Posted by RedRaider
I will say I seem to enjoy weekdays, especially during lunch or right after work - there are a ton less people there and I find I am able to really take my time.

Really? I find it quite the opposite. Lunch time and after work is the worst time to go during the week because it seems everyone and their brother is there.
 

Knucklehead

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
120
Reaction score
1
I've heard people say the morning is better because thats when people who own vintage shops/more expensive consignment shops tend to come in. Not sure if thats true.
 

RedRaider

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Nataku
Really? I find it quite the opposite. Lunch time and after work is the worst time to go during the week because it seems everyone and their brother is there.

Ah yes, I agree with you. I should have said it is better than the weekends - any weekday at any time is better than the weekends.
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,511
Reaction score
12,028
Lately I've been going Saturday afternoons, because that's the only time convenient for me. Fortunately, there is an awesome French bakery and coffee shop right down the block, so I get a coffee and browse for an hour.
 

Larson McCord

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
507
Reaction score
15
We probably need a thread on thrifting rules in general. A few of mine:

if it says 'bespoke' on the tag....it's not

Made in Italy isn't a synonym for 'it's good and/or well made'

Savile Row the brand has nothing to do with the tailors we hear so much about.

If you see Macy's on the tag you can pretty much keep moving.

Spend lots of time looking at the thrift thread and the suit hierarchy thread prior to spending a lot of money thrifting. Many of us (me included) make a lot of shit purchased because we don't know anything. Oh, and do things like passing Oxxford suits because who misspells Oxford? I really thought it was an off brand when I first got started. This is the number one rule for anyone getting started!

Higher end thrift stores that charge $100 for a Nautica suit don't know a lot of high end brands. I have gotten $6 Samuelsohn's in a store with that $100 Nautica because it's relatively rare and normal people have no idea about it.

As stated frequently, 99% of stuff in the thrifts are total garbage, that's why they are there. Most days you won't find good stuff. If you want to build a wardrobe you have to spend time looking and at several stores.

Any others?
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
512
This threak is a crime against yourselves. Loose lips sink ships. I would have thought you wise enough to protect your secrets.
 

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,316
Reaction score
2,690
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
We probably need a thread on thrifting rules in general. A few of mine:

if it says 'bespoke' on the tag....it's not

Made in Italy isn't a synonym for 'it's good and/or well made'

Savile Row the brand has nothing to do with the tailors we hear so much about.

If you see Macy's on the tag you can pretty much keep moving.

Spend lots of time looking at the thrift thread and the suit hierarchy thread prior to spending a lot of money thrifting. Many of us (me included) make a lot of shit purchased because we don't know anything. Oh, and do things like passing Oxxford suits because who misspells Oxford? I really thought it was an off brand when I first got started. This is the number one rule for anyone getting started!

Higher end thrift stores that charge $100 for a Nautica suit don't know a lot of high end brands. I have gotten $6 Samuelsohn's in a store with that $100 Nautica because it's relatively rare and normal people have no idea about it.

As stated frequently, 99% of stuff in the thrifts are total garbage, that's why they are there. Most days you won't find good stuff. If you want to build a wardrobe you have to spend time looking and at several stores.

Any others?



Excellent!
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 89 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 31.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 83 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 12 2.4%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 31 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,645
Messages
9,202,407
Members
193,235
Latest member
thokdebo

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top