• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifted suit. Should I take it back or get it altered?

Hendrix23

Reaction score
I posted this in the WAYWN thead earlier but was advised to create a new thread as that thread moves kinda quick. Basically I'm just finishing up college and starting interviews pretty soon and things are kinda tight financially for the time being so I figured I'de try and purchase a thrifted suit and have it altered. I've never owned a suit either btw, so am not 100% sure on a lot of things.

I realize it doesn't look good right now. I'm basically wondering if it's worth getting altered, and what I should get altered or if I should just take it back if it's not worth it.

To me it seems the waist area of the jacket is too big. I'm pretty sure it was bespoke and the original owner was kinda pear shaped. I know I need to get the sleeves of the jacket lengthened and there's enough fabric to do that. But I'm more curious about comments on the shoulder, chest, and waist area. Last pic I kinda brought it in a bit to show how much waist suppresion ~ it might need.

And sry for the crappy quality photos

m92jut.jpg

1zlyrs4.jpg

2m6rev8.jpg

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
to me the shoulders look a little wide, you're getting divots wear the shoulder of the suit extends past your natural shoulder.

As far as i'm aware there's not much you can do with that.

sorry

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the shoulders are screwy, they're not all that bad. Get the waist taken in, and it fits much, much better than the average guy's.

Certainly it would work for an interview, and the suit + alterations will still be cheaper than a Mens Wearhouse abomination. Go for it.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
While the shoulders are screwy, they're not all that bad. Get the waist taken in, and it fits much, much better than the average guy's.

Certainly it would work for an interview, and the suit + alterations will still be cheaper than a Mens Wearhouse abomination. Go for it.

Actually, listen to this guy.

I'm a bit over-sensitive when it comes to shoulders on suits because i have very narrow shoulders and thus don't fit into much OTR stuff

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit collar might be very ill-fitting. Please post better pictures with both the suit and the shirt buttoned.

Hendrix23

Reaction score
Unfortunatly that's the best camera I have and it's -20 outside. It's winter material and not really any wrinkels happening int the torso, just kind a bit as can be seen below the shoulders.

Don't really have time to post more pictures as I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get it altered or atleast see what the tailor has to say as I have an appointment with him in an hour and then class in 2 hours. Hopefully it'll be better and more cost effective then Mens Warehouse.

Hendrix23

Reaction score

Just wanted to thank you for the advice. I got it back from the tailors today and I think it tuned out pretty good. Yes the shoulders are a tad wide, but for $15 for the suit + $85 in tailoring I think it'll be just fine.

Hendrix23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
Pictures?

Well.... I don't actually have a proper dress shirt (as I said I'm still a student) with long enough sleeves, buttonless collor, etc... so this shirt will have to do for the sake of some pictures. Unfortunatly the camera still kinda sucks but hopefully it'll do.

bijvqw.jpg

2aiopwn.jpg

2j3jrc9.jpg

mk.ultra

Reaction score
If it's not a brand new Kiton suit, it's not good enough.

jk.

Xenos

Reaction score
The suit looks good. Nice tailoring job. For $100, you've got a nice suit. Congrats.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turned out nice. Now buy (or thrift) yourself a better shirt, and interview for a few jobs that would let you buy those kitons.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

It looks good to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads