• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifted Shoes - Critique! Comment! Advise!

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a poor university student, frequent SF lurker, and avid thrifter. I recently obtained several pairs of shoes ($5-20 each). I tend to dress older than I am; suits are very common for me, but my standard outfit is a good pair of trousers or Levi's with a dress shirt and sport coat; tie on occasion. I was in search of daily beater shoes I wouldn't have to drop a pretty penny on (i.e. Alden; AE; any of the English shoemakers) because I have a tendency to ruin good shoes.

LeSJm.jpg

Gave them all a good ol' Lysol treatment followed by Kiwi leather lotion and shoe polish.

What do you all think?

Unbranded Leather Soled Wingtip Bluchers ($5.00)
The previous owners' insoles made the logo unreadable; all I can make out are "Made in USA". 360° welted construction in acceptable condition. Would it be possible (and financially feasible) to have this pair resoled?

Pwk7t.jpg

6nP9Q.jpg

I was considering perhaps using black or blue polish to accentuate the unique colour and appearance of the leather. Thoughts?

Kenneth Cole Made in Italy Rubber Soled "Double Captoe" Boots ($10)
Comfortable and convenient. I love this pair.

mefJ7.jpg

Façonnable Made in Italy Leather Plain Toe Vibram Sole Chukka Boots ($15)
I am in love with this pair, but the condition of the leather uppers and the Vibram soles are questionable. Is this pair worth salvadging, and if so, what would I expect in terms of cost and reparations?

E639q.jpg

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

mlongano

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure that plenty of folks here will feel that you got a great deal...

...I was in college in 1969-1973...I worked part time for $1.60 an hour...I NEVER bought a pair of used shoes, but if you're happy with them, that's really all that matters.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
use the KC's as real beaters, the other two look decent enough.

ftfy

btw, the other two's are more than decent. a good start indeed.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Those longwings (your wingtip bluchers) are a real treasure. Get those babies resoled. I would check the inside to see if there's a serial number - then contact Allen Edmonds and Alden to see if that matches any previous models they made. If so, send them in for a recraft.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Burn the KC's, the other two look decent enough.

+1. The longwings are a good find, resole them. The chukkas are your beaters. Kill the KC boots, you can do better.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for the love of God, no blue polish on the LWs.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the distress look of the long wing. As others have noted, resoling will help and don't forget to buy shoe trees. Have fun...

Luke Banks

Reaction score
For those prices you really cant go wrong, even if you use them for firewood. I think they all look nice.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I hate KC, but those boots with a pair of jeans and an old tee shirt would be a perfectly acceptable casual fit for someone your age and means.

I agree. These shoes are pretty lean-looking, not cheap-appearing, and not overdesigned like some other KC. I'd def keep them.

Agh I never find good shoes when I go thrifting!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knucklehead
I agree. These shoes are pretty lean-looking, not cheap-appearing, and not overdesigned like some other KC. I'd def keep them.

Agh I never find good shoes when I go thrifting!

No, those KC's are horrid. Square toes that slant upward = ugly. Those are elf boots.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longwings are probably Florsheim Imperials. Great shoes, I own 6 pair of them. Built like tanks (they don't call them Gunboats for nothing) and classic. Re-sole them and enjoy.

The Chukkas are nice, good score.

Not a fan of the KCs, but they are good for beating around in. You have to realize that KC is a name that is about as popular here as Muhammar Gaddafi is in Libya right now.

Mike

rfd515

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Longwings are probably Florsheim Imperials. Great shoes, I own 6 pair of them. Built like tanks (they don't call them Gunboats for nothing) and classic. Re-sole them and enjoy.

The Chukkas are nice, good score.

Not a fan of the KCs, but they are good for beating around in. You have to realize that KC is a name that is about as popular here as Muhammar Gaddafi is in Libya right now.

Mike

Vtg imperials don't have a rounded edge tongue though do they? At least all the ones I have seen didn't.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm staying out of the KC debate.

I love those longwings. Even if they are AE, you might also consider sending them to bnelson shoes in NYC to be recrafted. I have no such experience myself, but I've read of people getting their beautifully patinaed (how do you spell that?) brown shoes back with the uppers redyed and losing a lot of that character. If they aren't AE or Alden, bnelson definitely would be the best bet. Only caveat - inspect the leather carefully before you send them anywhere. if the leather is cracking, it may not be able to stand up to the stretching that relasting imposes.

The chukka's look like they would be a beater pair, but I may think that because what is actually just glare looks like a deep scratch to me.

As for the KC, I'd only consider them if they are almost completely unworn, and when you wear them out, I wouldn't have them resoled. (I thought I was staying out of this?)

Good finds though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads