• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifted Allen Edmonds

carlene

Reaction score
Hi! My husband and I are both occasional lurkers here, and have learned so much about men's clothing and fashion from you guys. Many of you are so knowledgable, so I thought I'd come here with my question.

My husband thrifted these shoes today, and we are trying to find information on them. Inside label says Allen Edmonds Bristol, but looking up what is currently called Bristol, we find a (really nice, actually) slip-on. Does anyone know anything about an Allen Edmonds Bristol oxford?

~Carlene (and Tony)

carlene

Reaction score
Thanks. I kind of thought they were discontinued, since they reused the name on a different design. And bah humbug to my non-working image. I've messed with it, maybe it'll work now.

They were 5.99 + tax.

smile.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlene
Thanks. I kind of thought they were discontinued, since they reused the name on a different design. And bah humbug to my non-working image. I've messed with it, maybe it'll work now.

They were 5.99 + tax.

smile.gif

Thats a good deal, they look to be in great shape. I love thrifting Allen Edmonds for some reason. I could sell them all day and all night on ebay.

well-kept

Reaction score
The closest current AE model to the old Bristol is the Leeds. The Bristol has a single sole, the Leeds double. Construction very close. Great shoes.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of those that I've experimented on since they didn't look very good when I got them. They didn't turn out great, but the shape and leather always looked nice. Good find.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I have a pair of those that I've experimented on since they didn't look very good when I got them. They didn't turn out great, but the shape and leather always looked nice. Good find.

What did you do to yours? I have a pair that I don't wear even though they fit very well. Something about the color isn't right.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
What did you do to yours? I have a pair that I don't wear even though they fit very well. Something about the color isn't right.
All kinds of stuff. Stripped them with acetone, tried an all-over antiquing, stripped them again, tried some highlighting, etc... nothing really looked great. Those were the ones I was planning to attempt a black cherry effect on, using red and black dye, but never got around to ordering the dyes.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
All kinds of stuff. Stripped them with acetone, tried an all-over antiquing, stripped them again, tried some highlighting, etc... nothing really looked great. Those were the ones I was planning to attempt a black cherry effect on, using red and black dye, but never got around to ordering the dyes.

I wonder what would happen if, instead of darkening them, they were left in the sun for a couple of years.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if, instead of darkening them, they were left in the sun for a couple of years.

ahh the joys of owning $6 shoes!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's tempting to try all kinds of random weird stuff on them. I really wish I could find a way to simulate the shoes in those pictures from the England display window of the old shoes that had apparently faded over time.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The closest current AE model to the old Bristol is the Leeds. The Bristol has a single sole, the Leeds double. Construction very close. Great shoes.

Actually, the closest is the Harrison.

And yes, AE reuses model names all the time.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
It's tempting to try all kinds of random weird stuff on them. I really wish I could find a way to simulate the shoes in those pictures from the England display window of the old shoes that had apparently faded over time.

Those old Foster and Sons? Yes, they have their own kind of beauty and my hat is off to them for letting them stand and not trying to reverse the effects of time.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Actually, the closest is the Harrison.

Looked for "Harrison" on the AE website. "0 matches found." I'm curious, if you have pictures.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sully2023