• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear

CesarC

Reaction score
Most of us seldom have the opportunity to dress up in black-tie or white-tie. As a consequence, formal fit pics in the thrift/discount thread are fairly rare.

In the interest of comparing and sharing and maybe striking up a bit of competitive spirit, I thought it would be nice to compile formal thrift/discount fit pics here. Who knows -- maybe this can provide a nice compendium from which to nominate for yearly formal thrift fit awards, similar to the cheapies? The great diversity of styles and tastes in the brag thread showcases SW&D and MC and everything in between, but the more confined scope of formal wear provides a unique opportunity for comparison. Regardless of competition, feel free to post your best black-tie or white-tie thrift/discount fit pics!

Only rule: At least one visible formalwear item must have been thrifted or bought on deep discount, either by you or by a fellow member who traded or hooked you up. Please state which items in the fit are thrifted / discounted, so we can appreciate.

-------------------------------

I guess I'll start with one I'll likely have a hard time topping, from December 2012:

Details
Jacket: Bespoke Japanese-made smoking jacket, thrifted by Ruben
PS: Century 21
Studs, links & tie: Free, store was closing

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BITFO I recently went to a black tie attorney dinner. Switched between the two jackets all night. I'm also pretty sure (eh, it's kinda a fuzzy night) I wore a full collar shirt in the end. Vintage USA made MTM/bespoke smoking jacket, thrifted by Cap'n Wes JA shirt near $0 employee discount RLPL tie thrifted by me CORRECTION: Vintage Charvet tie Dunno who shoes.
NWT Zegna tux, thrifted by Orgetorix Charvet tie --> RLPL solid black silk Remaining details the same.

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a coupla fits I can contribute here. *cracks knuckles*

First: Formal daywear, circa 2006:
'50s morning coat & trousers: Ebay
Vintage vest: Ebay
Shirt: Modern, from a clergy supply store IIRC
Collar: Ede & Ravenscroft? Can't remember.
Tie: Discount store; can't remember brand
Shoes: Johnston & Murphy, thrifted by me
Hat: Borrowed

Oh yeah, and wife's dress = borrowed. :slayer:

Ceremony_2006-12-16_208.jpg
morning_dress.jpg
tophat2.jpg

White tie and tails, circa 2013:
'50s Hickey Freeman tails & trousers: Thrifted by me
Vintage boiled-front shirt: Ebay
Collar: Ede & Ravenscroft
Tie: From a dancewear supply shop, of all places
Waistcoat: ex-rental outlet
Studs & cufflinks: Krementz, thrifted by me
Hat: Ebay

Wife's flapper outfit = rented

E0D39309-F9B6-4CF6-87C1-433B5126E057-7049-000002E401A6DEB9.jpg
E3080E9A-0AA4-4DCA-8E68-7185F04F5747-7049-000002E90390BFB9.jpg

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score

I have a coupla fits I can contribute here. *cracks knuckles*

First: Formal daywear, circa 2006:
'50s morning coat & trousers: Ebay
Vintage vest: Ebay
Shirt: Modern, from a clergy supply store IIRC
Collar: Ede & Ravenscroft? Can't remember.
Tie: Discount store; can't remember brand
Hat: Borrowed

Oh yeah, and wife's dress = borrowed. :slayer:

Ceremony_2006-12-16_208.jpg
morning_dress.jpg
tophat2.jpg

White tie and tails, circa 2013:
'50s Hickey Freeman tails & trousers: Thrifted by me
Vintage boiled-front shirt: Ebay
Collar: Ede & Ravenscroft
Tie: From a dancewear supply shop, of all places
Waistcoat: ex-rental outlet
Studs & cufflinks: Krementz, thrifted by me
Hat: Ebay

Wife's flapper outfit = rented

E0D39309-F9B6-4CF6-87C1-433B5126E057-7049-000002E401A6DEB9.jpg
E3080E9A-0AA4-4DCA-8E68-7185F04F5747-7049-000002E90390BFB9.jpg

Superb outfits! Thank you for sharing these pics. At the risk of asking an indiscreet question, is it possible to get a white tie outfit now from where you did?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible photo, but I have a nice Midnight Blue Christian Dior tailcoat that I wear on occasion. I don't have a white bow tie (an easy fix, I know) but I like the navy paisley.

CesarC

Reaction score
Hey landshark, cool fit! In keeping with the spirit of the thread, any thrifted / heavily discounted items you care to declare?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this jacket at a vintage shop years ago, and it fits better now than back then (when I was skinnier). It's a German brand I've never heard of. The label says "Qualitatskleidung".Trousers were from a local formalwear shop that has since gone out of business, and the fabrics are pretty much indistinguishable. The rest of the clothes were purchased new. (BTW, the ladies getting married specified a green color scheme, hence the unorthodox PS.)

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Superb outfits! Thank you for sharing these pics. At the risk of asking an indiscreet question, is it possible to get a white tie outfit now from where you did?

Thanks! If by outfit you mean the whole getup, well, I got the pieces from all over the place. Some are still viable, some not.

If you're asking about the dress suit (the tailcoat and trousers), I got them from a vintage clothing shop and haven't seen another set in the ~4 years since I bought them.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought on Ebay. Can't remember brand, but it's a wool and mohair mix. Was NWT and retailed for 500$ or something, been packed away since NYE.

Followed with a silk PS, pre-tied bowtie and shirt (not the one in the picture, but it's a normal cotton, hidden placket shirt)
Paid 60$...no alterations.

Wish the button stance had been a bit lower, and armholes higher, other than that I'm pleased with it!

johnvw

Reaction score

Thanks! If by outfit you mean the whole getup, well, I got the pieces from all over the place. Some are still viable, some not.

If you're asking about the dress suit (the tailcoat and trousers), I got them from a vintage clothing shop and haven't seen another set in the ~4 years since I bought them.

Sad to hear :( but thanks for the reply.

Wear the elegant attire (on appropriate occasions) in good health!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads