1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CesarC, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I have some Photo's I could contribute to recently...Just waiting for some pics to populate from the formal wedding I just attended.

Great Thread btw! I just hope it doesn't die out! keep it alive!

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Orgetorix wins this thread.

I'm going to have to start trolling ebay for tails soon. Any tips? I've gotten pretty decent at looking for suits/SCs, but eBay has a whole separate section for formalwear, most of which seems to be crappy polyester stuff.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. FillW

FillW Senior member

You look like a Hollywood movie star in that first pic! [​IMG]
    That outfit looks awesome![​IMG]

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Shop the vintage section. Vintage will always be better made, and unlike everyday suits, there's a lot of vintage formalwear still around in good condition because it wasn't worn as much.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks, will make sure to keep my searches there.

Are you searching for specific manufacturers, or are you just browsing? So many old manufacturers that it makes it much harder to tell what's quality and what is garbage.

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Just browse, and look for stuff roughtly pre-1960. Tails were well on their way out by the early '60s anyway, so most will be before that. You won't recognize most of the brands, and the few you might recognize will be better quality than they are today. Botany 500, for example, was very good in the '30s/'40s but devolved to crap in the '70s/'80s/'90s. You'd have to spend $3K+ today to get the equivalent quality of 1930s Hart, Schaffner, & Marx.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks, will give it a shot. I suppose the upside is that something old can't have been fused, so assuming it's in good condition and fits, it's likely to be decently made.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Yes, exactly. No fusing before the mid- or late '60s, IIRC.

9. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah, that jacket is also pretty OTT. I'd wear it (to certain clubs, that is...). [​IMG]

FWIW- I've been noting that there have been a lot of formal jackets in local thrift shops. Maybe I should look more closely at them. I could use a sharp one.

10. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

+1 orgetorix is a master of fit

I was feeling okay about my current set up which is also very classically styled but this blows mine out of the water (mine has lower button stance though [​IMG])

I actually just dropped mine off at the tailor earlier today for a ton of interesting alterations besides just fit such as covering the buttons in black grosgrain
    my online mtm formal shirt should be here in a couple of days and if I can find some solid braces on ebay I should be able to post within the next two weeks, and after that some follow up pictures of my date and I at senior ball (I am happy my shawl collar has a lapel hole so I won't get stabbed when she tries to put on my boutonniere)

*suggestion* should we start posting prices like on the thrifting contest website that a few thrift thread members won/entered

also it would be nice to get shots of footwear

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  11. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Ian, I am looking forward to your forthcoming fit(s)! I would say that we needn't post prices -- though if you feel the need to, you can. People have different price points, and I want the focus to be on how great we can look when dressed-up in garments found at a bargain. Just how much of a bargain can be left to the imagination. It would be nice to hear if a garment has had little/no alteration, though, since that is just a bonus cool factor (e.g., that smoking jacket was completely unaltered for me =) .
    And +1 to including good shots of footwear. Where are all those opera pumps I see thrifters bragging about?

12. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Wore this for a law school prom. No alterations yet, since it's really more of a winter-weight tux and I'll probably change shape by the next time I'll next wear it. Also trying to find a better-matching bowtie, which until now has been impossible due to the scale of the grosgrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details
    tux: 1940's midnight blue flannel, thrifted by dexconstruct
    PS: Turnbull & Asser, thrifted
    Studs, links & tie: Free, store was closing

3 people like this.
  13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

probably only one fit I agree on the posting prices I don't really know what I was thinking
    the mtm hidden placket spread collar french cuff shirt just came in the mail and some super cool braces did to, I have all the other accessories now it is just up to my tailor [​IMG] I am going in for a second fitting later this week

14. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

loving the db action those lapels are redonk I am not feeling the light blue silk pocket square though although you stuffed it wonderfully

15. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

holy cow, did those lapels come with an ingenious mechanical cantilevering system?!

16. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

yes yes I know the pictures suck but you won't see better ones until at least next monday after all the pictures of senior ball have been distributed
    tux is vintage thrifted for 10.99
    shirt is online mtm for 80
    bowtie is a gift
    ps bought from nickelcobalts online shop for like 12
    cufflinks were an extra from capnwes
    watch is passed down from my dad
    braces are from ebay for 20
    shoes are ae's stolen from my dad
    tailoring was around 100, I lengthened sleeves slimmed pants and nipped the waist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am getting slightly better at tying bow-ties...
    also I really freaking love this shirt, spread collar french cuff covered placket is super versatile I would be happy only owning this and a light blue button down collar shirt

[​IMG]
    no fucking clue about this brand but I love the 60s looking geometric patterns in the lining
    the roped and slightly extended shoulders really add some weight to my silhouette (not everything can be soft shouldered and Italian right?)
    also I love the lower button stance that buttons right at my belly button
    some of you might like dual vents on a tux but I am glad this is ventless
    overall the only things I would change about this jacket would be to give it red Dracula esque lining, turnback cuffs and slightly wider lapels, but I honestly don't think anyone at my senior ball would notice these details anyways...
    [​IMG]
    I swapped out to fabric covered buttons I sourced on the bay
    this is also probably the most accurate photo of the actual color of the suit...

[​IMG]
    (still haven't pressed the shirt[​IMG])

wtf is this weave called?
    [​IMG]
    these shoes don't polish any brighter and it is annoying :( also I like the subtle brougeing it elevate the shoe above a normal boring old plain-toe (note to myself I need some real socks that are not from uniqlo)
    [​IMG]
    I thought you anal retentive clothing nerds would appreciate how well I matched my metals and leathers in my accessories
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Finally got to wear my Tux outfit to my cousins black tie wedding. It came together exactly like I had hoped.

- Isaia Tuxedo - 1 Button, Grosgrain Peak Lapel, Unvented (exactly what I wanted)
    - Thomas Pink Tuxedo Shirt
    - Polo Ralph Lauren Grosgrain Diamond Bowtie
    - Ralph Lauren Purple Label Cummerbund
    - Ralph Lauren Purple Label (Edward Green) Opera Pumps with Grosgrain Bow
    - Tom Ford White Linen Pocket Square

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

That's fantastic, Brian.

19. tylerbirt23

tylerbirt23 Member

I love all those black suits. I don’t like the suit on the first picture. >.<

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Finally got around to taking some pics of my e-thrifted Tuxedo Shoes w/ Silk Laces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]