• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Thread Fit Contest #1

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A simple fit-pic contest for the fun of it. No themes on this one other than "cheap." The rules: - Fit/photo must be taken at some point during the challenge. Old photos/fits may not be used. - Both CM and SW&D are fair game. - 80% of fit should be thrifted/gifted/traded/discount. Loose definition here, but well below retail is the goal. - Feel free to explain how much was paid, provenance, tailoring completed, etc. Back stories on vintage/antique pieces are interesting! The prize: Hand-rolled, cotton pocket square made by me here in Austria. I'll cover shipping worldwide, the winner only needs to provide an address. I'll also encourage the winner to run the next contest with a (small) prize such as a tie.
Entries accepted until 8 October 2015, voting will run 9-11 October. Inspiration:
Fitpic, everything but the tie was thrifted by someone else on the thread. Luigi Bianchi Mantova purple gingham unstructured patch pocket sportcoat RLPL linen shirt VTG RTBOC navy gren Etro navy trou Church's suede shortwings
BB suit - e thrift Vintage Eton **** w/ a fat collar - thrift Recent Givenchy tie - thrift Alden shell short wings - from @takai
Boglioli hopsack suit (~65% off at Unionmade) Boss shirt, plain linen square (both thrifted) Navy gren from Chipp2 (retail and worth every penny)
In the meantime, thrift fit:
Jacket is unlined and unstructured with patch pockets...from Joseph Abboud (I know I know, but at least made in USA) - thrift Shirt: Barba Napoli - thrift Tie: Chipp gren - thrift funded PS: Ashear madder- thrift
Cross-posted thrift-fit from the Denim Challenge thread.
Vtg Eddie Bauer Harris Tweed cap (thrifted) Freemans Sporting Club jacket (thifted) Rag & Bone Eden shirt (thrifted) Hartford Denim Co. 10.5 oz selvedge duck (thrifted) Brothers Crisp Boots. Horween Chromexcel w/ selvedge Cone Mills duck quarters. (Thrift Funded)
Here's a thrift fit for you: Jacket landed yesterday. Italian BB, Linen, 3/2 and unlined, ethrift. (I might get the waist nipped a bit, but it fit pretty well out of the box. Well enough to put it on. Square is thrifted Ferrel Reed Shirt is a Gustin oxford, great fit, thrift Pants are Incotex khakis, trade (Thanks, @dazedstate ) Belt I thrifted that day because my pants were a tad loose, Torino elastic braided baby blue. Hat is a no name corduroy newsboy, thrifted Shoes were Cole Haan blue bucks, deep discount.
Thrift fit:
SC - Boglioli (consignment) Shirt - Outlier (thrift) Belt - Epaulet (thrift funded) Pocket Square - Hill-Side (thrift) Trousers - Read Wall by Southwick - (thrift) Chukkas - Church's (e-thrift)
Thrift fit : Vintage 1960s Batik jacket (traded) Borrelli shirt (discount) Custom shantung tie (thrifted) De Vecchi alligator belt (thrifted) Epaulet pants (thrifted from consignor) John Lobb "Turvey" shoes (Ethrift)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lurk:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
You guys know i'm in.

Here's to the guys looking a million dollars for a hundred dollars
cheers.gif

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is cool! That's a nice prize, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people bust out. I will have to start putting some things together.
lurker[1].gif

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When's the deadline on this?

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ also curious! I've got something but I'm gone for the weekend

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entries accepted until October eighth.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah sorry, missed that
shog[1].gif

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Entry:

Jacket: BB E-Thrift, <$30
Shirt: Cutom, thrift Funded
Tie: Panta Gren, Trade
Square: Anonymous, Thrift,
Trou: Banan Republic, Retail, but literally $5.98
Shoes (unpictured): Florsheim? VCleats, Thrift.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My entry (for now, may change it later but w/e). At the end of the day so pardon the wrinkles and general rumples:

Jacket - Banana Republic (!!) linen/cotton blend, thrift $8
Shirt - Tom James Sartoria (don't sleep on this line of TJ, these shirts are amazing), thrift $2.50
Tie - Vintage Brooks Brothers Makers grenadine garza grossa, thrift $2
PS - Hand-rolled cotton, made by my wife
Trous - PRL by Corneliani linen, NWT, thrift $6
Belt - Allen Edmonds NWOT, thrift $2
Shoes - Alden with just a handful of wears before they got to me, thrift $20

Total cost - around $45

So you can see the pattern on the jacket better (bad tie knot, that's a DFOH but it doesn't look it)

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket Isaia, Thrift
Shirt BB ocbd, Thrift
Belt VV retail
Pants, Dockers, retail
Shoes AE Harris Tweed, ebay
vest, J. Crew, thrift
Square, silk, thrift
Told my wife it was only going to get into the low 90s today so I could layer up.
Autumn Textures:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sister is getting married next week, and the entire event is black tie formal.

ENTIRELY THRIFTED (except my drawers, ew)
Tux, Capezio by Henry Mignini Jr Bespoke Peak Lapel ($9.99)
(Mignini worked as a cutter for Dominic Capezio and also later owned Capezio Custom Tailors of Baltimore. C.C.T. was the tailor for Jackie Kennedy, Franklin D Roosevelt and Winston Churchill, as well as several of the Baltimore Colts and the Archbishop of Baltimore )
Shirt - Savile Row Shirt Co - Hidden Placket Wing Collar ($3.50)
Shoes - No Name Patent Oxford ($4.99)
Braces - Trafalgar ($1.99)
Bow - for the pic is just a pre-tied bow, my sister is giving me an actual bow before the event. ($.50)
Cufflinks, VTG Smoked Mother of Pearl snaplinks ($2)
Cummerbund - VTG Serrano ($2)
Socks, Just Plain Black ($3 for 3 pack, so $1)

About $26 total.

Epic Lining

Just need to thrift a haircut and a shave before the trip.

Last edited:

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this it too late, but I wanted to toss this in the running just incase.

In a rush and couldn't get a full shot. Sorry!

Isaia cashmere blazer - e-thrift (probably around 7% or retail?)
Eton dress shirt - thrift
Jpress tie - thrift
Drakes PS - trade from spoo
Robert Talbott sterling silver cuff links - thrift
Bulova watch - Christmas gift 2 or 3 years ago
BB 1818 pants - 6% of retail
Bally chocolate suede loafers - e-thrift

Last edited:

green_machine

Reaction score
All true thrifts. Some of the prices i'm not 100% sure of.

Cantarelli Suit -less than $15
Piatelli Shirt -?
Borrelli 7 fold tie -$3
Unknown PS -$1 - $2
Sterling cufflinks -$5 - $7
Nieman Marcus Aligator Belt -$1.99
Unknown Shell Cordovan Long Wings -$4.99
(I would have chosen more formal shoes but I wanted all thrifted items)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads