• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Store Shopping...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
How often do you thrift? And when you go thrifting do you go to find specific items, or just pick up whatever happens to catch your eye?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I'm in a pretty small town, so I rarely go thrifting. When I do go, I just end up finding endless waves of boxy Tommy Hilfiger shirts or loose fitting Arrow dress shirts.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Also, do you tend to have better luck at thrift stores in nicer neighborhoods or crappier ones?

In my experience I have found much cooler jeans and t-shirts in areas most people would consider rough parts of town. Whereas, when i have been to the nicer sides of town thrifting expecting to find nicer dress clothing i have only seen throwback TG&Y suits, and the occasional J Crew stuff.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I go whenever I'm back home in LA and always to a small shop called Ozzie Dot's. They're basically a filter service for hours of finding and have reasonable prices. I usually go for whatever catches my eye.

As much as your signature states it, thrifting via ebay is extremely easy and can be very cheap if you know what you're looking for. Most of the time it's cheaper (with shipping) than what I'd find at my stores.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I buy everything good and then sell it to rich people far away who don't appreciate it - actually they just put it in boxes and bury it. By doing this I've bought nine yachts at your expense.

Check out this thread. I wrote some thrifting tips in there somewhere.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I buy everything good and then sell it to rich people far away who don't appreciate it - actually they just put it in boxes and bury it. By doing this I've bought nine yachts at your expense.

Check out this thread. I wrote some thrifting tips in there somewhere.

I am sorry for posting this thread. I assumed the bragging thread was strictly for bragging.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I go whenever I'm back home in LA and always to a small shop called Ozzie Dot's. They're basically a filter service for hours of finding and have reasonable prices. I usually go for whatever catches my eye.

As much as your signature states it, thrifting via ebay is extremely easy and can be very cheap if you know what you're looking for. Most of the time it's cheaper (with shipping) than what I'd find at my stores.

I hate when i see t-shirts go for 15-20$ plus shipping. I am incredibly cheap, ridiculously cheap when it comes to thrifting. I really struggle with spending more than around 3-4 $ on a t-shirt. And I refuse to pay more than 8 bucks for a pair of jeans unless they are keen old levis or wranglers.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I hate when i see t-shirts go for 15-20$ plus shipping. I am incredibly cheap, ridiculously cheap when it comes to thrifting. I really struggle with spending more than around 3-4 $ on a t-shirt. And I refuse to pay more than 8 bucks for a pair of jeans unless they are keen old levis or wranglers.
I'm not a fan of that either, but then that's not the kind of shopping I do. Most t-shirt thirfts I do are under $15 incl. international shipping. You can pay any amount you want for a shirt or you can be a smart shopper and find some deals. It's ebay, not rocket science.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go several times a week when I got the time. I feel thats the only way to actually be able to pic up the good stuff that might show up. I just look around for anything that catches my attention, usually heavier faberics. I also go through all the denim... ive found several pairs of apc and lvc 47, aswell as an unworn pair of lee 101z, but all where the wrong size (dont really have the energy to resell), but I figure sometime Ill find just the right jeans...

over the last weeks ive bought 2 dark blue vintage work wear shirt/jackets and a banded collar shirt, all for very good prices, so it feels worth it.

itskub

Reaction score
heh. Ive only 'thrifted' once. Salvation Army, and 3 or 4 other stores in the area. I probably won't go again. I remember finding typical BR/ Express/ Gap stuff and jeans, which I really have no use for.

The area is sparsley populated upper/middle class suburbs. But still , its not like people wear better clothing here then they do anywhere else.
Hell even at retail stores Im picky enough choosing clothing, so finding a thrift item that Ill include in my daily wardrobe is a long shot not worth the effort.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
BR/ Express/ Gap stuff and jeans...sparsley populated upper/middle class suburbs

Isn't that what you'd expect to find in a sparsley populated upper-middle suburb? Maybe you have to raise your neighborhood standards to a place where a man is likely to be wealthy, old, and not shaped entirely like a walrus. They will not be wearing GAP when they leave this earthly prison.

There the old men will leave estates worthy of thrifting or estate sales (for links and watches, at least).

itskub

Reaction score
Watches, maybe. But I really dont what to look for in a 'good' watch. Other then that I dont think Im going to find a size 36 suit
blush.gif

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
Watches, maybe. But I really dont what to look for in a 'good' watch. Other then that I dont think Im going to find a size 36 suit
blush.gif

The most common 'good' finds for vintage watches in the US will always be the same few names... Hamilton, Longines, Wittnauer, Omega, etc. Anything from those brands in a fair to decent condition is worth looking at if < $100.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Im in ur thrift killin all your deeeeeealz

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real way to MAKE THAT **** WORK 4 U is to go to the thrifts when they are having tag sales or half-off days or whatever. Some thrift stores also print coupons. The Goodwill here used to do this, though they've since stopped. Additonally, when seasons come and go thrifts will occasionally attempt to liquidate inventory with gimmicks like &quot;All Winter Items 75% off!&quot;, &quot;Shorts 4/$1.00!&quot;, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads