• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift store find of the day

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'm on a Chester Barrie roll right now. I just picked up this overcoat at yet another thrift store, one I haven't been to in a long time. (They close at 4pm, so I can rarely get there in time.)
barriecoat14ne.jpg
It's hard to capture in the pictures, but I'm sure the color is familiar, a dark green/brown tweed with blue overcheck. Raglan sleeves. About a 50L(?). What will I find tomorrow?.
barriecoat20sd.jpg
barriecoat30rq.jpg

fkl118

Reaction score
Very nice.

The pattern matching and symmetry is impressive.

pejsek

Reaction score
You know, as unlikely as it may seem, I really think it's quite possible all of your finds of the past couple of days might be traced back to a single source. How many people in Seattle were buying McAfee shoes and Chester Barrie tailored clothing 25-30 years ago? I've seen it happen here in San Francisco. Once I bought a Kiton suit jacket and found the matching pants a couple of weeks later at a completely unrelated thrift store.
Anyway, another great find. Don't even think about not going out tomorrow.

Markus

Reaction score
Wonderful coat.

Interestingly, having grown up in the Seattle area since the sixties, I've never heard of Bender and Kohlstad, so it may date from the early 60s or before.

Anyone else ever heard of that retailer?

Markus

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Man,you rule in the great Northwest thrift shop circuit. That's a pretty sweet coat to go along with the shoes and suit.I'm sure you'll be coming up with a CB tux soon. Good luck,keep us posted.
thumbs-up.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know, as unlikely as it may seem, I really think it's quite possible all of your finds of the past couple of days might be traced back to a single source.
No, I definitely agree, it's possible. I have seen it happen before. However, these three finds were spread across three very different thrift stores. Maybe the guy died and his crafty widow went around distributing his stuff to try to keep it all from falling into the same evil hands?
devil.gif
Tomorrow, downtown and the eastside.
smile.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it this means you don't need my shipping address? Awww.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yes, sorry, I need it.
smile.gif
Actually, I don't know what I was smoking earlier, this thing is way bigger than 42L. Measures out to a whopping 52" under arms.
wow.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a swell coat.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(pejsek @ Feb. 12 2005,19:28) You know, as unlikely as it may seem, I really think it's quite possible all of your finds of the past couple of days might be traced back to a single source.
No, I definitely agree, it's possible. I have seen it happen before. However, these three finds were spread across three very different thrift stores. Maybe the guy died and his crafty widow went around distributing his stuff to try to keep it all from falling into the same evil hands? Â
devil.gif
Tomorrow, downtown and the eastside. Â
smile.gif

As macabre as it may sound, I think I'll have to start keeping a sharper eye on the NYT obits. for the death of preppies.

ineffable

Reaction score
Do you go to a certain type of thrift store, or just any thrift store? I've been to a couple and have found nothing of interest, everything seems to be cheaply made retro-wear for the trendy type... Are certain areas better than others (upper class/downtown/ eclectic areas)? Or is there anything else that determines where you go, or just lots of persistence? Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I try to hit them all, but the most consistent results come from the smaller charity shops in the less urban areas. The exception to the "less urban" rule is a couple of small shops in the "gay" area of Seattle (Capitol Hill). For obvious, stereotypical reasons, those have better stuff most of the time, and it's usually better taken care of.

However, a few of the really good hits have come from the big shops that are usually a mess with nothing worth taking. The CB suit and the shoes from the other day both came from big chain shops that rarely yield anything good. That's why you really have to be persistent.

I rarely go through 3 shops without buying anything, but it's not always anything good. For example, I sometimes buy ties that I like (narrow, dark colors, with small patterns if anything), suspenders, trashed once-expensive shirts that I can cut the good buttons off of, etc. The good finds are only about a 1 in 6 shot or so, but sometimes I get on a roll. I've gotten pickier lately too, which is a good thing, since I am running out of room for stuff I eventually will flip on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads