• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift store find #2 on the day

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I found this awesome suit. I haven't measured it out yet, but it's about a 42L. It does have a couple of spots, but they don't look fatal. Obviously, it needs steaming.
dscn02331pm.jpg
dscn02343qi.jpg
dscn02351pl.jpg
Unusual self-fabric belt:
dscn02397mn.jpg
So, what do I have here?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some other details: pick stitching on lapels, full canvas, padstitched, non functional buttonholes, double vented, flat front pants. I love this fabric. I wonder if I can get it altered to fit me...

Anyone?

misterbowles

Reaction score
Aww, man. That is nice. Makes me want to hit the thrift stores again...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I wish it would fit me but I think it is too long. I will take it in to the cleaners today to see if they are optimistic about the spots on the pants. Even if not, the jacket is plain navy, so it could be a nice odd jacket for someone. BTW, Manton: check those sleeve buttons.
tounge.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
I hope I do no harm by adding a small excerpt from Alan Flusser's 1981 book, Making The Man:

Gieves & Hawkes was formerly one of the most prestigious custom tailors on Savile Row. It still makes military uniforms for the Royal family, but today its real area of specialty is the ready-made suit. If you want a ready-made English-cut suit, the Gieves & Hawkes' models from Chester Barrie are the finest in London. They have been called the Rolls Royce of ready-made suits.
Each Chester Barrie suit is made 70 percent by hand. Every suit is hand-cut individually and sewn together with 10,000 hand stitches. At Gieves and Hawkes the alterations are done by custom tailors.

Flusser goes on to note a $475 base price. I had one of these a few years ago in a very nice textured brown and grey pinstripe. The self belt on your suit is a really cool period touch. I have no real desire to wade into the button issue except to note that (in my experience) any real concern with sleeve buttons on rtw suits and jackets is fairly recent. I have some 10-15 year old Kiton suits with sleeve buttons that would be hard to distinguish from regular department store offerings.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I will take it in to the cleaners today to see if they are optimistic about the spots on the pants.
It's amazing what they can get out. I've picked up a couple of things at thrift shops with spots, pointed them out for spot treatment and the cleaners got them right out.

A Chester Barrie is on my thrift store dream list. I got my Oxxford (at consignment, actually, for $20) recently.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm guessing this means it is most likely RTW. Any idea on the vintage of it?

BTW, I'll offer it for trade for a similar plain navy suit that will fit me ("42 for shoulders", 40 chest measurement, ~33 waist), otherwise it's going on ebay along with a bunch of other stuff.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Two clues: SR tailors rarely if ever put a house label on the inside of a bespoke coat like that.  They typically put their house label inside the right inside pocket of the coat.  Also, I have never seen them put in a label to identify the fabric.  Only American tailors do that. Which says to me that the suit was RTW, made for the American market.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How do you mean, made for the American market? Where would this originally have been purchased?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Barney's maybe. Gieves was (to the best of my knowledge) the first SR house to leverage the brand name into RTW. Caused a minor scandal at the time, but it saved the business. I don't know exactly who carried the stuff, but upper-end American department stores have been carrying Huntsman and Gieves RTW since at least the late 1980s.

pejsek

Reaction score
In my experience Huntsman is the only Savile Row tailor to have flirted with a label on the outside of the inside pocket. I have seen a number of Huntsman suits and jackets from the 1960s and 1970s with their distinctive logo on this kind of label. This always struck me as a bit strange, since--as Manton points out--it is so against SR tradition. But then Huntsman may be Huntsman most of all. Since then, however, they seem to have reverted to the standard label-less approach.

pejsek

Reaction score
My guess, J, is that this suit comes from the same owner as those wonderful shoes. I don't think there's any way to tell where it was purchased and it may very well have been bought in England; many American specialty stores preferred to put in a house label along the lines of, for example, "Made In England for Cable Car Clothiers by..." and this suit lacks such a label. My hunch is that this suit goes back to sometime in the 1970s and is from the line that Flusser mentions.
Let's just be sure to distinguish this suit from the later Gieves & Hawkes RTW which was made here in the US under license and was a much inferior product. And wasn't Huntsman RTW a sort of Barney's house label for years (with much of the clothing being made in Italy)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads