• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift and Consignment Shops..

mmhollis

Reaction score
I know we have a thread about our thrift and consignment finds, but I was hoping maybe we could utilize this threat to talk about some of the best thrift stores and consignments shops where you live....

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Goodwill on Route 236 in Annandale, Virginia.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

What kind of finds have you turned up?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thift and Consignment are very different things.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
^ Please explain.

A thrift store is a bargain bin where people are going to go and dump off bags of clothes that they don't know what to do with (Goodwill, Salvation Army, et) and the stores sometimes typically fund a charity organization (Housing Works). The clothing can really be anything. Some random polyester suit may be $7.95 and a Canali jacket may be $8.95 because the people pricing them have no idea what they are doing.

A consignment store is a place where a person takes their clothing, works with the store on what price they should sell it at and then if it is sold is split 50/50 or 60/40 between the store and the person who brought the stuff in on display. The clothing is typically on a higher scale all around that what you will find in a thrift store and the pricing is also going to be very different. If the Harris tweed blazer is by some bargain shoppers luck $8.95 in a thirft store, it may be $89.95 or more in a consignment shop.

satorstyle

Reaction score
^^^^^^

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Thrift and Consignment are very different things.

Thrift store the items generally are donated and sold outright, Consignment shops sell the items for the owner of the item keeping a small percentage after the sell.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift stores usually sell anything that's donated to them and is remotely wearable. They sell it for very low prices and, usually, use the proceeds to support some charity or another.

Consignment stores sell clothes that are still in good condition, and many only sell quality merchandise and better-known brands. Prices are normally higher, they are usually for-profit shops, and the original owner gets a piece of the final selling price. Consignment shop staff are normally more knowledgable about brands and quality, and price their stock accordingly.

An example I see fairly frequently: a mid- to late-90s suit from Jos. A Bank might fetch $5-15 at a thrift store here in Louisville, while a consignment shop will normally ask $40-60 for the same thing.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this thread may be a little more useful if you narrowed it down to a single location (i.e. where you live). Otherwise you are going to get a bunch of general, random comments like what the difference between a thrift store and a consignment store are.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, so consignment is basically re-retail
smile.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

Wow -- many great things from there... including a Charvet tie, a Massimo Bizzochi tie, an RLPL (purple label!!) suit... an Oxxford blazer... lots of nice books... there's a lot you have to sift through but you can definitely get some finds there!!!

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets hear the top thrifts in ATL!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads