• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three short business attire questions

francisco_bt

Reaction score
I'm a future analyst for a management consulting firm, aiming for a modern look.

1) I was thinking about getting some cordovan (the color, not $500 shoes) or burgundy shoes to go with a navy suit. Does the belt has to be the same color? Does black works ok with the navy suit?

2) Will a Ferragamo belt draw too much attention away from the suit, or give the impression of "trying too hard"?

3) Are spread collars much more modern looking than slightly pointed ones?

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
1. Your belt should match your shoes.
2. I'm not a fan, but I've seen a lot of office workers wearing equally garish Hugo Boss belts.
3. I think they're in vogue right now and definitely SF-approved, but I think your collar spread should depend on your face.

mohwld

Reaction score
As a former management consultant myself, I'd advise waiting to get a sense of what others at the analyst level are wearing - for example, I wore a sport coat my first day on the job (as an analyst) just to find that only partners wore jackets, and non-partners who wore them were seen as posers.

Needless to say, I never wore one to work again.

Also, you don't want to dress significantly better than the client, so keep that in mind before you spend $$ on stuff you won't wear once you get going.

jenlain

Reaction score
how will it be known what brand of belt you are wearing? Will the label be written across the front? A visible label on any article of clothing (unless you are a rapper ca. 1992) is not appropriate.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not wear a belt that exactly matches my shoes. Try something close in color.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I would not wear a belt that exactly matches my shoes. Try something close in color.

I made a mistake along these lines. I purchased the AE strand in walnut and didn't have a lighter colored belt. So I went to Nordstrom's and asked someone to show me a matching belt. The salesman showed me a walnut belt with broguing along the edges. I thought it was perfect.

I wore the two together, and it is the definition of matchy-matchy. I learned my lesson. From now on, I try and wear similar (but not identical) color belt. Or if they are the same color, try and vary the texture of the belt. eg: Burgundy shoes->Burgundy croc belt.

Also, which Ferragamo belt are you considering? Someone here mentioned to me when I had a similar post to rememeber that clients are paying for your services. If they see a college graduate rocking a big, obvious Ferragamo belt, they might feel they are overpaying. Point is, if it's a big ostentatious gancini bit, you may be better off passing on it at the moment.

If you are like me, you likely won't know what is going on in meetings anyways, and you don't draw attention to yourself with your attire. "Who's that kid who doesn't say anything in meetings, wearing $350 belts? Why are we paying XXX firm $200/hr for his services?"

perpetua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by francisco_bt
I'm a future analyst for a management consulting firm, aiming for a modern look.

1) I was thinking about getting some cordovan (the color, not $500 shoes) or burgundy shoes to go with a navy suit. Does the belt has to be the same color? Does black works ok with the navy suit?

2) Will a Ferregamo belt draw too much attention away from the suit, or give the impression of "trying too hard"?

3) Are spread collars much more modern looking than slightly pointed ones?

1) Matching the belt to the shoes is one of the most impermeable rules out there. If you have to ask whether you can break it, you can't.
wink.gif

2) I'd buy $500 shoes before I bought a $100 belt, and I suspect Ferragamo (at retail at least) would be much more than that. A belt shouldn't stand out, and if it doesn't stand out why pay for the Ferragamo name?

3) Personal choice. Spread collars are in vogue right now and have a more continental look than traditional American pointed collars, but there's no harm in choosing whichever one flatters your face, the shirt, and your tie.

perpetua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
If you are like me, you likely won't know what is going on in meetings anyways, and you don't draw attention to yourself with your attire. "Who's that kid who doesn't say anything in meetings, wearing $350 belts? Why are we paying XXX firm $200/hr for his services?"

QFT.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Cordovan colored shoes go much nicer with navy than black. I'm not a fan of black with navy, but you will see plenty of people doing it. Belt does NOT have to match, there's a lot of people under the impression that your belt must match your shoes. When I worked in retail, people would spend hours matching every belt with their shoes until they found the right shade, or more than likely didn't and then left the store. Considering the fact that never will your belt be wrapped around your shoes at work trying to match your shoes and belt is insanity.

2) Depends on where you work. I see lots of Sleazy looking people who wear the greased back hair, loafers with huge bits on them and big ferragamo gancini belts. I do own 2 ferragamo belts both very subdued, looks just like any other belt, that I got on sale.

3) Not really, as much as fashion houses would like you to believe everything is new and modern, a spread collar and point collar have both been around forever. See which one works better with the ties you own and the general structure of your face.

perpetua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
1) Cordovan colored shoes go much nicer with navy than black. I'm not a fan of black with navy, but you will see plenty of people doing it. Belt does NOT have to match, there's a lot of people under the impression that your belt must match your shoes. When I worked in retail, people would spend hours matching every belt with their shoes until they found the right shade, or more than likely didn't and then left the store. Considering the fact that never will your belt be wrapped around your shoes at work trying to match your shoes and belt is insanity.

There's matching and then there's matching. I don't think anyone's saying they have to be the same shade and style of leather, but they should come from the same color category: black, cordovan, tan, cigar, etc. I'd also match suede with suede, but that's because I have a suede belt I really like...
smile.gif

francisco_bt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
1. Your belt should match your shoes.
2. I'm not a fan, but I've seen a lot of office workers wearing equally garish Hugo Boss belts.
3. I think they're in vogue right now and definitely SF-approved, but I think your collar spread should depend on your face.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your responses.

About black I meant the shoes/belt combo to go with navy, but I already read burgundry works much better. About the belt what brand do you recommend for around $40-$100? I was thinking about getting two belts (one black, one burgundry) in silver, and classic style. I think I'll still buy the Ferragamo belt, but will use it for weekends.

About the shirts I have a semi-square face. Pointed works better with round faces, spread with square faces right?

Thank you again all for your time and knowledge.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Allen Edmonds. Some of their belts are in your price range.
smile.gif
Although, their cordovan offerings are priced a little higher. And a quick word of advice from a fellow management consultant -- if you're going to be traveling, carry a sleep mask, good earphones, cough drops, aspirin, some power bars, and a water bottle with you at all times. And spare cuff links and collar stays help, too.
wink.gif
Trust me, you'll need them.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by perpetua
There's matching and then there's matching. I don't think anyone's saying they have to be the same shade and style of leather, but they should come from the same color category: black, cordovan, tan, cigar, etc. I'd also match suede with suede, but that's because I have a suede belt I really like...
smile.gif

Yes, In my mumbling I was trying to type this out and ended up with mass confusion. Read above short and simple.
biggrin.gif
thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics