• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Random Questions

this_is_james

Reaction score
1. The center vent on my new peacoat is sewn together. Am I supposed to leave it as is or should I cut out the thread?

2. I'm looking for a black oxford shoe that can be worn to work but is also casual enough to be worn with jeans. Suggestions(pictures would be helpful) on styles or a specific shoe? [Retail price under $200]

3. Recommendations for a baseball/trucker hat? Ed hardy must not bode well here.

Thank you.

katon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
3. Recommendations for a baseball/trucker hat? Ed hardy must not bode well here.

I like blank unstructured six panel cotton caps with clasp backs. Sometimes they're called polo caps.

On the other hand, some of my friends prefer the fitted wool caps with high crowns and logos that are more like the ones worn in the major leagues (New Era 59fiftys).

Really, it depends on the rest of your clothes.

I'd avoid trucker hats, though. Nobody likes plastic mesh, and straw backs are too gimmicky.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the shoe, I don't like monk straps and I wear fitted denim - not skin tight but not baggy. Would something like this be too formal? http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...263N&areaid=35
That's awfully boring. Forum consensus is that black doesn't look as good as dark brown with raw denim, but if you must, how about wingtips or a bicycle toe? The forum also loves chelseas.
thumbs-up.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Cut

2. Black? I'd wear black leather shoes w/ dark denim. Second that monkstrap...and chelseas...and what about strapped boots Jodhpurs? I think they call em?....

3. The only reason I don't wear baseball hats/caps is cause I don't think I look good in them...but if I did I'd go w/ very simple ones w/ a clean look. The ones that the frat boys use in college, coupled w/ sweat/stain marks all over disgust me

this_is_james

Reaction score
Right now I think I'm going to stick with a black lace-up since I need it to be conservative enough to wear to work. I should look into wingtips(any specific suggestions?) but I don't quite like bicycle toes.
I'm fine with it being a little boring, I just wanted to make sure it's not too formal as to become awkward when paired with jeans.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I think I'm going to stick with a black lace-up since I need it to be conservative enough to wear to work. I should look into wingtips(any specific suggestions?)
Bluchers are more appropriate than balmorals with jeans and business-casual, but balmorals are more appropriate with suits. There are some archive discussions about sub-$200-retail shoes, but $200 should be able to get you discounted AE MacNeils or Chesters.

this_is_james

Reaction score
ok I must be really out of it since I don't know what bluchers and balmorals are, nor have I ever heard of AE MacNeils or Chesters.
From your description it looks like I'd need a blucher over a balmoral since I won't be wearing suits with it (just shirt and slacks).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Blucher is a more casual style. The leather that holds the laces overlaps the rest of the shoe:

Tyrwhitt.......jpg

Balmorals are more formal. Sleek, dressy, good with suits. Notice how the leather that holds the laces connects to the shoe:

A-Grensons1.jpg

Black is a more formal color than brown. Some folks here save black for balmorals (and suits) and otherwise live in brown.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok I must be really out of it since I don't know what bluchers and balmorals are, nor have I ever heard of AE MacNeils or Chesters. From your description it looks like I'd need a blucher over a balmoral since I won't be wearing suits with it (just shirt and slacks).
All of this can be found with judicious searching, but perhaps if you post your size and ask real nice someone will drop some eBay auctions on your lap?
wink.gif

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
There is a pretty good collection of sub-200 AEs (Allen Edmonds) on Sierra Trading Post, I can't vouch for color.

I also posted a 30% discount link for Sierra somewhere around here.

vanity

Reaction score
Regarding hats, I'm not a big hat guy either but I picked up a pretty cool "PUMA" logo cap at the Puma outlet store for $20. Super simple and works great with jeans and tee-shirt. Or with a blazer if I'm out running errands.
84057021_l.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads