• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Three questions on Yoga / Tao / Tantra

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) Does anybody know of any good online communities where either Tao or Yoga can be discussed without the new-age hippies dominating the board? I just want to learn about why and how these arts are healthy and beneficial...not so much the hippy garbage that comes along with it. This is probably not a reasonable request, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask.

2) Does anybody have any recommendations for good Taoism teachers in NYC? Yoga studios? Am looking to find a place that has experienced teachers and does not break the bank. For the yoga - I'd rather focus on the physical benefits, but do not want to completely ignore the spiritual/energy stuff. Being completely oblivious of that can be dangerous. For the Taoism, I think it's pretty damn important to have a teacher who knows exactly what they are doing. Some of the basic exercises can cause mild insanity if the energy is not controlled correctly (this is not a myth, btw).

3) I'm also looking to stretch out my lower back. Every morning I just get the feeling that I'd really like to extend my back and decompress my spine / crack my back. I try to do stretches but sometimes I can't get rid of the feeling. Anyone have experience with yoga making them feel longer/decompressed in the back?

Thanks. Weird questions, but can't think of a better place to ask them.

wsanford-shanghai

Reaction score
With respect to yoga... 1.) http://www.yogajournal.com/ <---has good basic information 2.) http://www.jivamuktiyoga.com/fms/centr_fm.html <---check New York, Downtown I haven't been to the studio, but I've read their book and respect their practice and intention. 3.) To release your lower back... Stand with your feet shoulder width apart (or slightly wider if your hamstrings are very tight). Bend your knees until your belly rests on your thighs. Keeping the belly pressed onto the thighs, push with your feet and bring your legs to a slightly straighter position until you feel your hamstring begin to stretch. Keep your chin tucked in towards your chest and keep your neck and shoulders relaxed. You should feel a stretch in the middle of your hamstrings and your lower back (depending on overall flexibility). You can also try to do the same as above but grab your ankles with your hands and suck in your belly on an exhale. With your feet firmly planted down, pull up with your arms and push diagonally up and back through your lower back. Keep your chin tucked in towards your chest and keep your neck and shoulders relaxed. You should feel the vertebrae of your lower back stretching and separating slightly. Doing seated twists also help. Keep your elongated in a relaxed vertical position. Suck in your belly on an exhale and focus on the twist coming from your lower back. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from yoga: it is less of a physical excercise but significantly more of a worldview, religious/spiritual system tied into Hinduism. The sole purpose of asanas is to prepare one for a cardinal and often irreversible mental/emotional turn-around...which you may or may not appreciate.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
1) Does anybody know of any good online communities where either Tao or Yoga can be discussed without the new-age hippies dominating the board? I just want to learn about why and how these arts are healthy and beneficial...not so much the hippy garbage that comes along with it. This is probably not a reasonable request, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask.

2) Does anybody have any recommendations for good Taoism teachers in NYC? Yoga studios? Am looking to find a place that has experienced teachers and does not break the bank. For the yoga - I'd rather focus on the physical benefits, but do not want to completely ignore the spiritual/energy stuff. Being completely oblivious of that can be dangerous. For the Taoism, I think it's pretty damn important to have a teacher who knows exactly what they are doing. Some of the basic exercises can cause mild insanity if the energy is not controlled correctly (this is not a myth, btw).

3) I'm also looking to stretch out my lower back. Every morning I just get the feeling that I'd really like to extend my back and decompress my spine / crack my back. I try to do stretches but sometimes I can't get rid of the feeling. Anyone have experience with yoga making them feel longer/decompressed in the back?

Thanks. Weird questions, but can't think of a better place to ask them.

Can someone expand on this? ty

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try gnosticteachings.org. It's not a hatha (re: physical) yoga website, but I've learned a great deal about health from there.

FWIW, I also loathe new shallow new agism.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Try gnosticteachings.org. It's not a hatha (re: physical) yoga website, but I've learned a great deal about health from there.

FWIW, I also loathe new shallow new agism.

I'm all for alternative health but this site comes off as pretty damn kooky.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.