1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Three-piece without a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otheme, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Troilus

Troilus Senior member

Huge fan of the three-piece but would never wear it to work without a tie. I feel too much like an extra from the Godfather (parts I or II).

2. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

I am going to buck the trend toward the "button-down" responses and endorse your idea of a spread.

3. Sebastian Melmoth

Sebastian Melmoth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

To me, it looks like he accidentally put on the wrong pants.

Regarding the initial question, I think a three piece without a tie would look odd.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Curtis Stone kept wearing them on Celebrity Apprentice last year...it just seems like the guy forgot his tie.

[​IMG]

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

I know Trep is not to everyone's taste on this side of the board...
    Oh he seems like a nice enough young fellow ... decent looking too ... and even dresses okay. But ... I just don't trust people who self-promote the way he does. Moreover, what is it they say about names and faces in public places? Ah yes.

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I know Trep is not to everyone's taste on this side of the board, but just as visual reference:

[​IMG]

That combo is just awful without any doubt...

The trousers ,the shoes and the rest...

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

That combo is just awful without any doubt...

The trousers ,the shoes and the rest...

In that photo he reminds me of a twenty-something year old who is still very much learing to dress ... but is suffering a particularly bad setback.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Curtis Stone kept wearing them on Celebrity Apprentice last year...it just seems like the guy forgot his tie.
    Yes, it does look like he forgot his tie. It also appears as if he had a rough night in bed and forgot to comb his hair.

9. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

To me, it looks like he accidentally put on the wrong pants.

Regarding the initial question, I think a three piece without a tie would look odd.

In that photo he reminds me of a twenty-something year old who is still very much learing to dress ... but is suffering a particularly bad setback.

It seems to me as if he has latched onto a couple of recent fashions/fads and is trying to incorporate them all into a look that comes across as incoherent. Also it seems his shirt collar lacks moral fiber.

[​IMG]

That looks atrocious.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It seems to me as if he has latched onto a couple of recent fashions/fads and is trying to incorporate them all into a look that comes across as incoherent. Also it seems his shirt collar lacks moral fiber.

That looks atrocious.

Put a tie on young man and get a haircut (sounds like my gran when I write that)..

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

Put a tie on young man and get a haircut (sounds like my gran when I write that)..
    It only gets worse as you get older. Take it from experience. One day you are the "gran" generation.

My father is the only one of my parents' generation of siblings (and including spouses) who is still alive. My generation is now -- with that one exception -- the oldest. And even we -- four of the twelve first cousins -- are beginning to make departures.

12. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I can't discuss that at this time.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Watch 'The Mentalist' for a good example of this. Usually his waistcoats are slightly contrasting to the coat and trousers but he does often wear matching ones too.

+1. I think Simon Baker pulls this look off rather well, even though his waistcoats often are too short or his pants have a too low rise according to 'teh rulez'.

If you check the first season with the flashbacks to his earlier life, there's a very nice difference in his 'before' and 'after' style. His slick TV persona always wore a tie and stuctured suits, his new incarnation is always sans tie with a waiscoat, a soft shouldered suit, a shirt with soft collar and chukka boots.

[​IMG]

15. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

[​IMG]

Each morning, he gets up and says, "How can I best look like a douche today?"

16. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

17. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

If you have to ask, you can't pull it off

I think this is true to a degree. I'll sometimes do a 3-piece sans tie, but only when going out for drinks for the night. I had slight reservations at first with the forgoing of the tie, but have since become partial to the look. I like to play with colors/patterns when doing it rather than just a basic blue or white shirt - and always with a silk pocket square rather than linen. During the day, however, or when attending anything to do with business, always wear a tie. Against the rules? Probably, but that's alright with me.

18. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

+1. I think Simon Baker pulls this look off rather well, even though his waistcoats often are too short or his pants have a too low rise according to 'teh rulez'.

If you check the first season with the flashbacks to his earlier life, there's a very nice difference in his 'before' and 'after' style. His slick TV persona always wore a tie and stuctured suits, his new incarnation is always sans tie with a waiscoat, a soft shouldered suit, a shirt with soft collar and chukka boots.

[​IMG]

I thought the exact same thing when i saw this thread. Not Perfect by SF means but I still like his look.

19. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

This is closer to what I had in mind -- crispy, dressy, but not uptight. [​IMG]

20. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

[​IMG]

That's part of the Mentalist character to be a bit different...