Three-Piece Suits, Back With a Vengeance?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OnTheMark, Oct 30, 2004.

1. OnTheMark

OnTheMark Member

Ok, so I have been seeing three-piece suits on a more regular basis here in Manhattan over the last three years; and have seen a lot more in catalogs and in stores (and now own one and have another on the way).  But last night on the local ABC affiliate I saw no less than three men with vested suits; the reporters Dave Evans (Brown Striped) and Jeff Pegues (Solid Gray), who seems to wear them pretty frequently.  Also, a guy that was from the local Democratic Party was interviewed in a very natty grey three-piece with a lapelled vest.  So what say the augerers: Is it really back?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Style-wise, I think 3 piece suits are never really out. 2 or 3 button suits will almost always be standard, and DB's and 3-piece outfits will always be at least acceptable, if sometimes the fashion and sometimes a little unusual for the moment.

I remember a friend of mine (who was then in his mid-20s) earing a light grey 3 piece suit back in the late 90s and thinking it was unusual but ok... so, never really out.

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

btw - that should have been "wearing", not "earing".

4. Alias

Alias Senior member

I think three-piece suits look stuffy on men younger than 40.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

disagree, I think they look great with any age

Yes, I think they are back. Hopefully business casual will be next on the hit list.

6. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

I must really be old school, because I wear mostly DB and 3P suits.....I think I can live with that [​IMG]

7. bslo

bslo Senior member

I really like three piece suits and am having one made for me right now from a local tailor (who does excellent work). I'm 31, and I don't think the look is too stuffy at all, although I wouldn't wear one every day. Wearing a vest makes for a nice break from the routine. I think stuffiness results more from the cut and styling of the suit rather than whether you're wearing a vest.

8. OnTheMark

OnTheMark Member

I really like three piece suits and am having one made for me right now from a local tailor (who does excellent work).  I'm 31, and I don't think the look is too stuffy at all, although I wouldn't wear one every day.  Wearing a vest makes for a nice break from the routine.  I think stuffiness results more from the cut and styling of the suit rather than whether you're wearing a vest.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

all of my suits are 3 peice (including the DB ones) and I have an extra waistcoat for each. I don't think that it is a particularly informal look, I don't expect the nieghborhood kids to come and invite me out to play, but I think that it is a fantasic look for business. and it gives you enough pockets for all teh stuff of modern living without things slumping and bulging.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Nice things about three-piece suits:

1) Slightly more formal

2) Added warmth in winter

3) Extra touch of class when in the office with your jacket off

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

it's officially a fad when you see guys in fashion mags wearing 3 piece suits without a tie.

yes, they are in right now, but i can't really say they were ever out.

12. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

They were never "out" for the MTM and bespoke crowd.

I think that they're making a small revival. But. first we must kill the casual cancer.

BTW, I was in court last week. Of the hundreds of men in Bronx Supreme, I was the only one in 3 piece. The judge complimented me and might have been jealous. However, most lawyers (with the exception of the bigshots) are a little behind the times and are fair dressers.

13. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Younger men, stay away from three-piece suits. You already look too dapper.

Excuse me (really.), but "jacket off" and "touch of class" seem to me contradictory expressions.

BTW, when seeking to avoid "stuffiness," cut and styling are important variables, but fabric trumps them both. Avoid the lumpy, colorless, anonymous look of "old man's" suitings.

14. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Especially if you're an old man.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Not at all. Who keeps their coat on all day? Hardly anyone. A vest offers an extra touch of formality with the comfort of shirtsleeves.