• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Three piece suit advice sought

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help. I've taken the plunge and ordered a suit from a tailor in Ann Arbor (Michigan) who makes bespoke suits. What I've ordered is: a three piece suit, dark blue with gray chalk stripes, Italian wool 110s, two button front, side vents, ticket pocket, natural shoulder, dark blue lining. The vest that I ordered is a plain front, two pocket vest which certainly would be appropriate. However, does anyone have an opinion about a vest with lapels? I am partial to that classic British look. I certainly would appreciate any comments.

The tailor must have taken dozens of measurements. I discovered that my left shoulder is lower than my right--which affects the sleeve length etc... One leg is slightly longer than the other. Never have I been so thoroughly "sized" up. In six weeks, I should have the finished suit.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
CP:

I have both kinds, but think I like the ones with lapels better- look more elegant. And if you're going that dressed up w/a 3 piece, why not? You don't always have to wear the vest...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve B:

Thank you so much for your opinion/advice. I like your description of "elegance" regarding a vest with lapels. As always, you are right on. I am going to contact the tailor and make the change.

Looking forward to your book. Hope it becomes a bestseller.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.