Three piece suit advice sought

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarinetplayer, Jul 23, 2003.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Help. I've taken the plunge and ordered a suit from a tailor in Ann Arbor (Michigan) who makes bespoke suits. What I've ordered is: a three piece suit, dark blue with gray chalk stripes, Italian wool 110s, two button front, side vents, ticket pocket, natural shoulder, dark blue lining. The vest that I ordered is a plain front, two pocket vest which certainly would be appropriate. However, does anyone have an opinion about a vest with lapels? I am partial to that classic British look. I certainly would appreciate any comments.

The tailor must have taken dozens of measurements. I discovered that my left shoulder is lower than my right--which affects the sleeve length etc... One leg is slightly longer than the other. Never have I been so thoroughly "sized" up. In six weeks, I should have the finished suit.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

CP:

I have both kinds, but think I like the ones with lapels better- look more elegant. And if you're going that dressed up w/a 3 piece, why not? You don't always have to wear the vest...

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Steve B:

Thank you so much for your opinion/advice. I like your description of "elegance" regarding a vest with lapels. As always, you are right on. I am going to contact the tailor and make the change.

Looking forward to your book. Hope it becomes a bestseller.