• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Examples of Casual Menswear Done Right - February 18, 2015

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
People around these parts tend to believe that our Classic Menswear posters are incapable of dressing down, but let's prove them wrong with three excellent examples of awesome outfits.

Vest is brown.

Let's get started with this An Acute Style post (and props to his username; math pun!): it's a study in color balance, with a bright, picnic shirt balanced out with a pair of understated brown trousers, brown winter boots, a navy cardigan, and, for fun, a white cardigan. It's nice.

Laser dawg & I.

So goddamn good. First props to the dog for probably being the most stylish person on the forum. But I really like the somber colors of this look: dark navy jeans, brwon shoes, dark brown sportcoat. And who can beat a turtleneck? Very James Bond on Sunday.

Hmmm... had to Google both those things that I may some day wear. I do appreciate that the lead category on the Devoa Website is "Concept"

I think I have the ghostly pallor down...

In the meantime

LBM/Barena/Seawall/Epaulet/Attila

This is goddamn cool and like a Menswear version of Engineered Garments-style layering. Baller overcoat, Barena jacket and some straight fit, heavyweight tan flannel pants. Cool.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All those guys are great, but that Frank fit is amazeballs.

Romans116

Reaction score
Only outfit I'd wear is the third one with a lower rise pant.

Do I have to be 60 to be here or something ?

Romans116

Reaction score
I Guess the second one is OK too. But not sure about a turtleneck and rolled jeans.

Shen

Reaction score

Please do enlighten me why you'd have to be 60 to wear high rise trousers, especially when wearing a jacket.

Romans116

Reaction score
Quote:
High rise trousers are brutal :). IMHO Yes I understand in suits they are fine. I am just wondering how in the world these are three looks that people aspire to wear. There are some amazing dressers on this forum one of which I remember being named spoopoker or something like that. The title of this thread is casual menswear done right. I think it should be changed to casual menswear done right "for retired people". Now, in no way do I mean this as an insult to the people or people that like these outfits. To me, I wouldn't leave my house in any of these outfits unless a few tweaks were made to lower the age of the look. Are the fits good? Sure! But to me that isn't good enough. I have been coming to this forum here and there for about three years now and i'll never figure out why people would wear some of these things they wear. Was reading one thread about a guy so enamored by the buttons on his Kiton shirt. There is no justifiable reason to buy a Kiton shirt unless you are filthy rich and if you are filthy rich most likely you give a crap less about the buttons on your shirt. The buttons are covered up by coats anyways!!!!! Enjoying quality is a fun thing but man, for the life of me I can't care about the buttons on my shirts. The third outfit minus the high rise trousers and add a touch more break could look good on a thirty year old but as it stands it looks like an fifties plus outfit. The second outfit minus the turtleneck and the rolled pants could be decent too on a younger person. The first outfit, if I am being honest, does not look good on anyone, the pants flair to much near the hips and top thighs and taper too much for the shoe that is on him. The shoe is rather clunky so it needs a different taper in the pant leg. The sweater is too thick and makes it look a little sloppy. I do like the shirt with his skin tone though. Wouldn't work on all people but it does on him. I don't know, just trying to weed through the group think this forum has but don't think that is possible. It has enlightened me on many things regarding, shoes, etc.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I must agree.  Frank killed it.  Also, I'm wearing a brown vest under the cream cardigan not a navy cardigan.  

Well, I like the company I'm keeping.

Would post more, but have to go watch Matlock and then off to the early-bird special!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
And how old are you, exactly? Seems to me if there would be a minimum age limit for posting on SF, you wouldn't qualify. If after three years of coming here, you still haven't found out why people wear the things they wear, perhaps it's time to move on to another forum. I don't think many people will miss reading your crap.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High rise trousers are brutal

I am just wondering how in the world these are three looks that people aspire to wear
it should be changed to casual menswear done right "for retired people".

There is no justifiable reason to buy a Kiton shirt
I can't care about the buttons on my shirts.

The third outfit, if I am being honest, does not look good on anyone

just trying to weed through the group think this forum has

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I want to be Bertrand Russell so I can give a reading of In Praise of Idleness.

OK?

Romans116

Reaction score
Quote:
Eliod, Plead define youth. Is it anyone under 60?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads