• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Cheers for Prince Albert

BdeRWest

Reaction score
So I've just been tying four-in-hand knots. Since I was a teenager. I think I went through a Windsor phase for about six months. Recently, I've been reading up on ties more. I have shirts and trousers down, and one odd jacket. Ties seemed the next logical step. I was always so amazed at how well you gentlemen's knots looked, with the subtle second wrap of the tie just peeking out from underneath the knot. I learned this was the Prince Albert knot, something I'd shied away from because I'm a tall guy with a big (fat) neck, and getting my ties' tails long enough to pass through the keeper was always a challenge. But I've resolved to buy a Sam Hober tie in early 2011, and since I can choose its length, I thought I'd try the Albert knot, just to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. It is! There's a satisfying thickness to it, without swallowing up lengths of the tie like a Windsor or half-Windsor. It was also easier to make the dimple than I think it's ever been before. Lastly, watching all the fabric Rube-Goldberg its way tight as I tightened the knot and slid it up to my collar was mesmerizing. And lo and behold, in fifteen seconds, my tie looks perfect. It stands away from the shirt, and is delightfully just asymmetrical. And this is probably the cheapest tie I own! It's a sophisticated knot that, to a passerby, looks completely ordinary. I love it. Three cheers for Prince Albert and his knot. Leaving the four-in-hand behind me, and not looking back.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I approve.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club brother.
smile.gif

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I approve.
Thanks! Hey, I just noticed we're from the same area. Didn't think any other SFers were here in NEPA!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BdeRWest
Thanks!

Hey, I just noticed we're from the same area. Didn't think any other SFers were here in NEPA!

dwight_schrute.jpg

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I have a 14 inch pencil neck. The Prince Albert knot is the only knot that doesn't look like my tie is either eating my neck or is a third leg.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
One of my fav characters on tv. haha Learn your rules!

you better learn your rules...if you dont youll be eaten in your sleep...raarrrggghhh!!!!

Poindexter

Reaction score
It looks to me that the PA knot is like a FIH, but with an extra wrap. Is this right?

Aloha,

Poinz

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poindexter
It looks to me that the PA knot is like a FIH, but with an extra wrap. Is this right?

Yes, wrap twice and tuck the blade behind both wraps.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
When I opened this thread, I was worried that I'd be greeted with a "Prince Albert."

I'm actually surprised it took twelve posts for someone to steer the conversation there!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BdeRWest
So I've just been tying four-in-hand knots. Since I was a teenager. I think I went through a Windsor phase for about six months. Recently, I've been reading up on ties more. I have shirts and trousers down, and one odd jacket. Ties seemed the next logical step. I was always so amazed at how well you gentlemen's knots looked, with the subtle second wrap of the tie just peeking out from underneath the knot. I learned this was the Prince Albert knot, something I'd shied away from because I'm a tall guy with a big (fat) neck, and getting my ties' tails long enough to pass through the keeper was always a challenge. But I've resolved to buy a Sam Hober tie in early 2011, and since I can choose its length, I thought I'd try the Albert knot, just to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. It is! There's a satisfying thickness to it, without swallowing up lengths of the tie like a Windsor or half-Windsor. It was also easier to make the dimple than I think it's ever been before. Lastly, watching all the fabric Rube-Goldberg its way tight as I tightened the knot and slid it up to my collar was mesmerizing. And lo and behold, in fifteen seconds, my tie looks perfect. It stands away from the shirt, and is delightfully just asymmetrical. And this is probably the cheapest tie I own! It's a sophisticated knot that, to a passerby, looks completely ordinary. I love it. Three cheers for Prince Albert and his knot. Leaving the four-in-hand behind me, and not looking back.
Young man, I am afraid that you are confusing the inventor or popularizer of the " Windsor Knot", Prince Albert Edward, who became King Edward VII and his father, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, consort to Queen Victoria and known as " Prince Albert".

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Young man, I am afraid that you are confusing the inventor or popularizer of the " Windsor Knot", Prince Albert Edward, who became King Edward VII and his father, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, consort to Queen Victoria and known as " Prince Albert".
Well, as a matter of fact, I looked high and low for a history of the Albert knot, but couldn't find anything. Of course, it makes more sense to name it for a more recent prince, as I doubt the prince consort would have worn a modern necktie. But he would have worn cravats, and could conceivably worn them tied in a "Ruche" knot, which has been described as "similar to a four-in-hand knot." [Ed. Redacted for clarity] Nonetheless! A fantastic knot and I'd love to know more about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads