• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Button Suits...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, normally I tend to favor two-button suits over three-button suits.

I have been looking at STP, Sartoriale's ebay page, and Shop the Finest, and almost all of them only have 3-button blazers. Now, I was thinking that this is probably because they buy up whatever is left over... But I came to wondering... is three button the direction that a lot of these designers are going back to?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a 2 roll3 button person...I also like the 1 button look ..
The pure 3 button look is very 90's in my humble opinion...
It would also depends on your morphology...
Be careful with designers , they tend to force upon us some artificial sartorial fads...
If you love them , try one ,check if your morphology is adapted to that style and buy the suit..
I have a few bought a few years ago and I still enjoy them...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only have one 3 button suit, and it looks too stiff for some reason. I am sure I can find a 3 button that will works, but I just haven't found one yet. 2 roll to 3 is a good choice, but I personally favor showing more shirt and tie, so kind pointless to go 2 roll to 3 in my case. I do want to buy one 2 roll to 3 eventually though. As to single button, I think Kilgour and Richard James are both very successful in pulling that look, haven't seen much from Italian makers on single button suit.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I agree with the others in that it depends on your body morphology. If you are tall and slim, I think a 3 button looks fine. If you are short and stocky, I would avoid the 3 button suit.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a two button suit as well, of which the majority of my suits are. I do have one three button suit, but it's not my favourite. Fits quite well though.

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
It's all about your body size, really. Two button suits have been fashionable lately but that is not to say that they will become a faux pas in sartorial circles. If you're slim, a two button suit will tend to look better. If you're anything near rotund then a three buttoned suit will be your suit of choice.

In my opinion the three buttoned suit looks too boxy on slimmer guys, and they have a dated look without careful tailoring.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
I agree with the others in that it depends on your body morphology. If you are tall and slim, I think a 3 button looks fine. If you are short and stocky, I would avoid the 3 button suit.

Odd. I am about 5'10 and a bit on the stocky side and have found, much to my surprise, that I generally look better, much longer and leaner, in a three button suit.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
So, normally I tend to favor two-button suits over three-button suits.

I have been looking at STP, Sartoriale's ebay page, and Shop the Finest, and almost all of them only have 3-button blazers. Now, I was thinking that this is probably because they buy up whatever is left over... But I came to wondering... is three button the direction that a lot of these designers are going back to?

I recently came to the exact same conclusion while shopping around. I tend to prefer a 2 button or a 3-2 roll, but don't care for a standard 3 button at all. Not all 2 buttons are created equal though. I do find that some 2 buttons can button too low. I prefer a mid-stance 2 button. Nice ones are difficult to come by currently, it seems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads